RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 12:02:10 EST
On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:02:54 -0500 (EST) GEOFF JOHNSTON <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I've been attempting to get a handle on the effect of various foods on
>my blood/sugar level.  According to the Glycemic Index, most veggies
>have a lower rating than fruits.  However, what if the quantities change?
>For example, I find that one banana is normally quite satisfying but for
>veggies, I usually eat a large plate full.  I guess my question is:
>does a large plate of raw veggies have a higher glycemic rating that one
>banana?

No, Geoff, the GI doesn't change with quantitty, but of course it depends
on the veggies.  Carrots, parsnips, beets (barely), and  potatoes all
have higher GI's than bananas.

BTW, I thought of a way you could fast.  Assuming your job gives you
weekends (or 2 other consecutive days off), try this:

Fast on Friday while continuing to work; this first day shouldn't be too
hard.  Continue  through the weekend.  Have 2-3 days vacation scheduled
for the following week and call in sick for the other 2-3 days.  Continue
through the following weekend, breaking your fast on the next Monday
morning.  This will:  (1) Give you a 10-day fast; (2) Bring you lots of
sympathy from your boss and co-workers who will feel sorry for you for
having gotten sick on your vacation.  You will probably look pretty bad
afte 10 days of fasting; they might even suggest you go back home for
another day or two.  No one will question that you were indeed sick.

Whatcha think?

Bob Avery ([log in to unmask])