RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:27:32 +0000
This is dedicated (;-)) to Mike and Kirt...

Kirt:
>But my wonderment is really this: today's instinctos eating only the
>highest quality wild foods supposedly end up eating less than 10%
>animal foods (or grow tumors :/) or so they say. The latest reported
>percentage of animal foods in hunter-gatherer cultures is some 65%! Now
>none of those cultures are all-raw (the closest probably being,
>ironically, the Eskimos at 90+% animal foods ???). One can surmise that
>at some time in prehistory our species "overcame" the tastechange in
>RAF by cooking it.

I don't expect instinctos to go for 65% animal foods or for cooking more
than 10% (?) of their food. What happened in paleolithic times might
have changed our genes. But how much, compared to millions of years of
living uncooked and probably with less animal foods? Well, it depends on
the adaptation pressure as we know and it is difficult if not impossible
to determine how much our genes changed in which prehistoric time.
At least I can't see no reason why we instinctos should eat as described
above. Genetical adaptation in paleolithic times doesn't mean that all
other mechanisms of earlier times are lost.

Kirt:
>Our species' brain size did not peak (probably--this is a fuzzy arena
>in anthropology) until after we had been cooking for a time. How much
>of the brain size increase was caused/enabled/whatever by the (I am
>assuming) increase in attractiveness of animal foods because they were
>cooked?

That's something I often wonder too. Strict veganism indeed seems to
lead to mental sickness and low mental power. But instincto with 10% or
whatever low percentage of meat? Also there are other fatty foods -
avocados, macadamias, palm drups (new food from Orkos, hehe), olives,
sunflower seeds, coconuts, fatty fish, etc.
I've got a pretty good idea what I consider to be a good brain function
for me. Since I still have to cure my mercury intoxification a little,
I'm not back at my best. I have good comparison marks at least for me
and if I do not meet them soon I will think again about cooking. Until
then: no cooking pot for me! (even if you would like to see me falling
in it, Kirt ;-))

Kirt:
>Hmmm...I can eat wild RAF anytime it is available it seems--and this is
>regardless of how much domesticated RAF (even cooked!) I eat. This is

I cannot. After having fulfilled my needs I lose any interest in meat.
I simply forget that it is in my fridge.

Kirt:
>And I am still blocked for raw liver, which I never could stand cooked
>as a kid--don't think I ever ate a single mouthful. And I am blocked
>for raw eggs, which I ate LOTS of cooked as a kid--but in a strange
>concoction my

I'm not blocked to these, but still I seem to be blocked to those damned
seaveggies which I    n e v e r    ate cooked (as far as I can remem-
ber). So what do I make of this???
Well, I'll attack them again next week. I've got some idea that it
will work this time. :-\

Kirt:
>"unblocking" for a particular food over there? I remember hearing of an
>instincto women who just couldn't enjoy durian until it was suggested
>that she eat some lightly cooked (160F) after which she VERY much
>enjoyed raw durian--that is, she was "unblocked" for it. Sounds
>interesting to me.

Ah, so I should boil those nasty seaveggies a little and eat a tiny
amount of them? Ha! That would be worth a try!

Kirt:
>I think this is probably most true for individuals with illness or
>deficiencies (ie. most beginning instinctos). I remember hearing that
>one of Burger's daughters (the singer) could usually "figure out" what
>she was after and it was usually confirmed by her smell/taste when she
>actually tried it.

The same for me, but not too precise. If a food becomes less attractive
I more and more tend to forget that I have it in my kitchen/fridge (see
above for meat).
If something is needed again I find myself looking at it suddenly where
I didn't notice it before. If it is not within reach there forms an idea
in my mind like this "oh, how about ordering x from Orkos next week - it
might be great". Then I order and mostly I'm right.
With most foods I can do the "imagination test": Just imagine how it
would be to bite in it now. To be done before a meal of course and best
before the meal where I would eat it (noon/evening). If the answer is
"would be great, go for it", then I buy it. If I have problems to
imagine me biting into it and the picture always seems to fade away
or if the answer is "buh, forget it, it's awful" then I let it be.
Hey, who on this list can do this too?

Mike:
>Sounds delicious. I envy you for the variety you have to choose from.

Man, you are living in Germany like me. Get the pricelist from Orkos
and the variety is yours!

Mike:
>so. After some plant protein I can eat RAF again and fell strong and clear
>the next morning. My guess is it is the fat rather than the protein because

Yeah, the same with me. RAF only is soon getting bad. Then switch in some
fatty plant proteins and everything is again balanced.
BTW: My first thought seeing the acronym "RAF" was "Rote Armee Fraktion",
a terror group here in Germany which was active in the 70s.

Mike:
>approaches using any kind of tables. Every protein is different and only be
>partially  replace by an other protein (some are very close though).

Yes. We should mail that to all those vegans claiming that you can get
your protein from any source and that plant protein alone is sufficient.

Mike:
>follow) I just overcame. At this time I wanted to tell  every body about
>instincto and was surprised about the negative reaction from my
>counterparts. An experience most of raw eaters had have. Fortunately I am

You were in the socalled "missionary phase" then. It isn't appreciated
by the environment in most cases. No wonder. :-(

Mike:
>Glad to be part of this virtual raw food world. Maybe it becomes more real
>with time.

Well, nobody knows if these U.S. members really exist. ;-) :-)
But Dresden and Berlin are real, that's for sure. If you don't believe it,
mail me and we can phone and if we are the same "wavelength" we might arrange
a meeting.

Greetings from the capital city of Germany,

Stefan

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]