RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 05:48:44 -0700
re: leg cramps (follow-up to posts by Ellie and Meredith).

When I was a fruitarian, I has intermittent leg cramps, that at times were
severe. If a leg cramp occurred at night, the pain was so severe that I
would immediately wake up and literally jump out of bed.

In retrospect, I suspect those leg cramps were a possible symptom of calcium
deficiency, as most fruit is low in calcium. Besides being low in calcium,
most fruits are high in sugar. Could the excess sugar interfere with calcium
assimilation? (Vitamin D and magnesium are important in calcium assimilation;
fruit has no vitamin D, and is probably very low in magnesium as well. So a
fruitarian diet does not promote calcium assimilation. A fruitarian diet that
includes mineral sources (greens) and a source of vitamin D (supplements or
wheat germ or sunflower seeds) might avoid this problem.)

The above does not explain leg cramps as a result of fasting, unless one assumes
that during the fast, the body de-toxed and removed a lot of sugar (a
possibility).

Thanks for the interesting posts!

Regards,
Tom Billings