RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 23:08:55 EDT
>Regarding you pitch for honey...Our family finally quit using honey
>some years back.  We were raising bees and I accidently backed into
>a stack of"supers" (for non bee keepers: the white boxes in which the bees
>collect their nectar and pollen)...notwithstanding my daughter's and my
>totally-enclosed-in-bee-suits and bonnets configuration, we both got
>stung more times than I care to recall, since the tower of power came
>tumbling down.  Gadzooks! The bees were like a black roaring cloud of hell
>itself. And, as luck would have it, there wasn't a nice river or pond into
>which we could dive...and we were on such a steep mountain slope that running
>downhill would have been sure suicide...So.
>Never forget the event...I took it as some sort of karmic signal to
>quit stealing their hard earned sticky food from them.  I've never bothered
>'em since...the sweet little critters...and have been left alone myself.
>But, at least it's raw.

Wow, Ric!
	I got stung 4 times once when my lawnmower accidentally ran over
a hive in my back yard that I didn't know was there, but I can't blame
the little critters for that!  I have visited beekeepers and saw a queen
up close and personal.  I even thought about trying to raise bees myself,
but never got started.  Your story is certainly a beekeeper's nightmare!
	I still rob the busy little guys (2nd hand) occasionally, mostly
for their pollen.