RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry Coffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:14:35 EDT
writes:

>> The juice machines - who supplies them and do you know what they are
>> made of? I would like to get one made of stainless steel if possible.

ABOUT JUICERS:
Excerpted from cookbook author Paula Duvall's May '97 article in
Health Magazine:

"People who are primarily interested in vegetable juices should
seriously consider the Champion juicer or the Green Power juicer. These
juicers are designed specifically to produce high-quality juice from
vegetables. The juices that these machines produce from vegetables is
darker, more concentrated, and contains less entrapped air than juice
made with a centrifugal juicer. If you want wheat grass, the Green Power
should be your choice. It should be noted that the juice from these
machines is rather pulpy and might have to be strained before serving.

The Champion is a masticating juicer and combines three operations at
once: it first grates, then masticates or chews the pulp to further
break down the cell wall structure, and then mechanically presses or
squeezes the pulp to extract the juice. The Champion uses a powerful,
slow-turning motor and requires moderate strength to operate. It is not
a machine for physically limited person. It can juice almost every type
of vegetable efficiently, including leafy vegetables and wheat grass (to
a limited extent).

By blocking off the juice spout with the "blank" attachment, the
Champion can be used as a homogenizer to make such foods as raw
applesauce, tomato sauce, and baby food. It can make peanut butter or
other nut butters. It also makes wonderful ice cream-like desserts from
raw frozen bananas and other fruits.

The Champion=92s motor is manufactured by General Electric and its
juicing parts are constructed of stainless steel and nylon. It has been
manufactured since the 1930's.

HOW MUCH SHOULD I PAY?
A good juicer is going to cost from $200 to $700. The Olympic, Acme, and
Champion run around $250 to $350. The Green Power Juicer runs around
$600 to $700."

For more info on juicers contact: Gerry Coffey
HEALTHY ALTERNATIVES For Disease-Free-Living Through Fitness & Nutrition:
205/350-2823 Fax 205/350-0925 e-mail: [log in to unmask]