RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:31:47 -0500
I lack knowledge to write on the subject, but posting something about
"fasting- myths and reality" could be interesting. A few ideas:

 --Myth 1: when you fast, after a few days, you have more energy. You can
walk 20 miles/day, run longer, etc.

 Reality: you can't, except if you really push yourself hard to do so,
because you want to prove something to others, that what you are doing is
right, that fasting innocuous or that, thanks to your "superior" diet, you
are "clean" enough and so you experience less weakness during fasting.

 --Myth 2: during fasting, you will experience all sorts of detox symptoms
like coated tongue and dark urine.

 Reality: those symptoms are effectively observed, but that they result
from detoxification is far from obvious. Mucus is not toxic, it is a
natural secretion of the body, and excessive mucus production doesn't
necessarily mean that your body is eliminating any toxins. Dark urine
may result from autolysis (I'm not sure): your body uses its muscle
protein to fulfill its daily requirements in protein and glucose. But
after a few days, as the metabolism slows down and the nervous system
utilizes more fat instead of glucose, the rate of muscle loss is lower.

 --Myth 3: muscle strength *increases* progressively during fasting, even
without training.

 Hmm... doubtful. Since you lose muscle mass, how could you become stronger?
Well, in my case, I could still do 10 pushups after 9 days (instead of 40
usually), but it's easier to do pushups when your body is lighter...

 --Myth 4: if you are weak, it's because of the lack of unnatural
stimulations from coffee, tea, cigarettes and meat.

 Well, isn't it also because of low blood glucose and slowed metabolism?
[and besides, that meat is unnatural or toxic is doubtful].

Comments and additions are welcome.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis