RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lucia Ruedenberg Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 18:44:19 -0400
I'm been reading a lovely book: _Simple Food for the Good Life_ by
Helen
Nearing (1980 (1999) Chelsea Green Publishing), homesteader and
insipiration of the simplicity movement. She wrote the book in 1980
when
she was around 80 herself and it was recently reprinted. It's not a
100%
raw but she was good friends with Herbert Shelton and has a chapter
called
"to cook or not to cook" as well as a chapter called "to kill or not
kill" (she was a vegetarian), and a chapter called "complicate or
simplify: processed versus fresh foods." In her chapter on soups she
states that it is her love of soups that keeps her from joining the
"true-believers' ranks of raw-fooders".  However, she repeatedly
asserts
how much she dislikes cooking and how little of it she does, although
she
loves feeding people. In her intro she explains:

        I am staunchly determined, and tried to stick to it, that
        any recipies included in my book would be straight from
        the garden where possible, cooked slightly if at all,
        at low temperatures to kill fewer vitamins and enzymes,
        with little added flavoring and the fewest possible dishes,
        pans and utensils used. The simpler the food, the better,
        I think; the rawer, the better; the fewer mixtures, the
        better. This way of eating involves less preparation, less
        cooking, easier digestion, more food value, better health,
        and more money saved (p. 15)

Her writing style is simple, direct, humorous, opinionated, and full
of
wonderful old quotes from the thousands of cookbooks she researched
before
writing her own in order "to see what other people have written, and
see what not to bother to write."

It's a great read and some nice recipies for simple food.
Lucia