RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 11:14:29 -0800
Bodhi:
>        during roe's talk, i asked her the first questions, after which a
>few others chimed in.  upon hearing her "22 years fruitarian" statement,
>i asked, "what do you define as a fruit?  cucumbers, nuts?"  she said yes
>to cucumbers and no to nuts, with a slightly condescending "avocados are
>fruits, tomatoes are fruits, and cucumbers are fruits."  i nodded and
>smiled.
>        when she again mentioned eating nothing but fruit, i queried,
>"how long have you gone without vegetables."  she began saying, "22 years
>ago..." to establish her raw foundation.  then, "in 1988..." when she
>moved to 2 salads/week (i think).  the punchline: "for about six months
>i've eaten exclusively fruit."  the clincher!

Tom:
I have heard Roe speak, and she seems like a nice person. I have been told, by
people who know her well, that she ate greens up until a few months ago, so
has been a 100% fruit fruitarian for only a few months.  This agrees with
what you report.

She does at times seem to be confused about the definition of fruit. It was her
incorrect remark at an SF-LiFE talk that 'grains are not fruits' (they are,
by the botanical definition) that was the inspiration for the "Fruits vs
Sprouted Grains Comparison" that I recently re-posted to raw-food. So,
whenever she uses the term fruit, I would assume she is using the common
definition. After all, nuts are fruits by the botanical definition also...

Bodhi:
>        yes, she does look great, both in person and in a bikini on the
>back cover of her book.  i did get a "ungrounded" energy from her, but
>that could have come from "having to play a role" at the party.
>balancing precariously on one foot while speaking, letting the microphone
>cord wrap around her body in various entanglements, and voice pitch
>shifts all indicated someone not highly experienced or comfortable in
>public speaking or "not all there."  i hope everything goes well for her.

Tom:
I hope things go well for her too. My experience, however, is that, in the
long term, 100% fruit diets have the same problem as excessive fasting and
anorexia nervosa: it weakens the mind-body connection, leading to various
mental problems: zealotry, eating disorder behavior, and ordinary lunacy.
I have known 4 people who were on 100% fruit, and they all suffered mental
problems (after being on 100% fruit). I hope this does not afflict Roe, but
only time will tell. Sugar addiction is a serious problem on 100% fruit diets,
as well.

Tom Billings