RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:27:14 -0800
> I would like to add, that it is a bit dangerous to eat unknown herbs.
> Since they can contain very strong substances, the result can be very
> unpleasant. Experienced instinctive eaters should eat them, if and only
> if they are smelling attractive and are tasting nice.

I had an interesting experience in this regard once.  I went into the
organic grocery store to look at herbs, and I smelled at least two of
them--damiana and black cohosh.  The damiana smelled ok, but there was
something "not quite right" about the black cohosh.  I went home and
looked them up in an herb book.  Black cohosh is toxic in larger doses
(maybe the smaller ones too?).

Mary J.