RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 06:32:33 -0800
Hi Ben,

Ben wrote:
> Probably the most difficult times are when I am entertaining
> clients of our company.  I also opt to play the "vegetarian role" and just
> nibble at the salad bar.  I choose to not tell most people about eating RAF,
> due to the fact that many (most) people react with disgust.  And
> furthermore, I agree with Liza; it gets old turning _every_ social event
> into a discussion of my "special diet."
> ... It was especially difficult, as I mentioned, in the work environment.

Entertaining a group would probably be easier than meals for a few,
because you can offer a buffet.  Some larger grocery stores around here
offer platters you can order and pick up.   A buffet is nice because
most people won't take all anyway and your eating won't seem unusual.  I
do entertain; my solution is to offer a buffet with salad; veggie
platter; sashimi; all of which can be purchased from places nearby us
that offers catering trays.  I know what you mean; had something similar
recently; I found that our lcoal Sam's and Costco offer pre-made veggie
platters; they sell fresh fruit that can be cut for fruit platters in
just minutes; and fresh salmon at half the grocery-store price for
sashimi/ceveche, which you can cut up to serve; hiring someone to do all
that is cheap too since it's basic work.  You can always include a few
cooked things together all in a few dishes that you don't want eat but
that others will, mostly starchy stuff like rice pilaf, bread basket,
baked potato, or pasta.  My standard platters for buffets long before I
ate so much raw always included a veggie & dip tray; a green salad; and
fresh fruit platter.

> Plus, at times I find it a bit cumbersome to prepare _every_ single meal I
> eat.  It would be nice if there was some RAF-ish place to eat at.  I'd even
> settle for sushi/sashimi, but the closest Japanese cuisine is 60 min. away.
> Do others who are the only RAFers in their family find it tiring to have to
> prepare your own food _all_ of the time?

I usually prepare most of my meals.  My domestic partner doesn't like to
eat so much raw, but so far it isn't a big problem, and he'll steam some
of the veggies or grill the fish which I eat raw.  Preparing raw is less
work than cooking.  Eating out means going to either a japanese place if
I want sashimi; or, to a place with a good salad bar.  Sizzler, marie
Calendr, Fresh Choice are chain restaurants here in calif that have
large enough raw selections to eat all raw for a meal.  Indian and
Chinese restaurants are the worst for raw selections near me.  Most
American and Italian places at least offer a salad. RAF eating out is
impossible except for sashimi, but I sure don't have to eat RAF every
meal.

regards