RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 14 May 97 07:49:00 -0000

>> California Organic certification is pretty good.  And this ranch sells
>> I think, in general, you are translating your European concerns about

>All of us who have been in USA, have a lot of concerns about the
>quality of food there. Only your reports have shown me that some
>better places exist. One of my biggest concerns is the American
>obsession against bacteria and small animals or insects. So the
>experience of most Instinctos that visited the states was that it
>is very hard to get natural food. Everything is heated, processed,
>overbreeded or otherwise fumbled with. Four of my friends have been
>there and they all said the same. The only bright spots in their
>stories were the private gardeners in Florida or California.
>Marianne, for example, did get lots of top quality fruits from her
>colleagues when she was in Boca Raton and another friend of mine
>did get great avocados from a cooperative near LA.

After living with bananas for 4 or 5 years I don't think I could be
fooled by the words "organic" written on a label.  Same with most foods.
I can, like most of us I'm sure, quickly tell the difference between
large scale commercial organic, and food grown by a human scale farmer.
There's many "organic" foods I will not purchase, because they don't pass
sight or smell tests.  As far as bananas in the Mainland, the Mexican
ones are pretty lame in general and occasionally local ones are good.
Santa Barbara and south can grow bananas, though they are a far cry from
tropcial ones in ease of growing and size of bunches.

Bye,

Zephyr