RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:45:34 -0600
Liza queried:
>But I still am unclear as to why something
>would necessarily be stimulating. It is the word "stimulating" that I am not
>understanding. I understand that garlic and cayenne can be stimulating foods,
>but why would an apple be stimulating, just because it is not needed at that
>time by the body?
>I guess my real question is not "why" but "how" does an apple (or some other
>normally non-irritating food) become "stimulating?" I'm wanting to understand
>the biochemistry. What exactly is being stimulated, and how is that happening?

The mustard oil (or was it allicin?) in cayenne pepper is inherently toxic
and that burning sensation in the mouth is equally manifested along the
entire alimentary canal.

However, the more acute reaction is an initial increase in activity of the
circulatory system, the flushing and perspiration derived from eating "hot"
food items. This is the stimulation that is mistakenly attributed to action
by the food item on the body (when in fact it is the body that is acting on
the said food). The body, recognizing the ingestion of hazardous compounds,
is only attempting to accelerate the transport of the offending toxins
towards the renal system, skin, etc.

In this way, the cayenne pepper can occasion a vigorous reaction from the
body and is considered "stimulating."

But any nutrient not usable by the body at given time is considered toxic
and must be eliminated. Eating an apple - when the body is not able to
properly digest and assimilate it - will occasion fermentation of the
sugars. Depending upon the level of vitality, the body may eject the
contents of the stomach. Or absorption of alcohol from fermenting sugars
will occasion eliminative action. Or the stability of sugar metabolism is
upset by ingesting too many at one sitting. By forcing the body to respond
beyond its normal functional capacity, overeating during normal state of
health or eating when the body is hampered by poor digestive capacity is
how even apples can be considered stimulating.

I suspect my past bingeing on starches was predicated on an addiction to
alcohol created within my stomach.

You'll have to give me a bit of lattitude here, Liza. I'm a slow writer and
I wanted to get this off as soon as possible.