RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 17:51:08 -0700
>Kirt, more comments on durian, please.

I enjoyed your "ramblings" as much as a fine durian, Meredith!

Durian season in Thailand is at it's peak the third week of May (or at
least it was the four years we were there). It can be as cheap as 20
baht/kilo ($0.40/lb,the cultivated varieties are often about 2-3 kilos) in
the more "native" markets. The wilder varieties (two seasons per year like
figs) found in southern Thailand, Malaysia, Sumatra, Bali, etc. are much
smaller, and even more flavorful, but vary greatly in flavor, even those
from the same tree. Having eaten over a thousand durian I still can say
little about the taste change, since I never really got to it. BTW, the 3rd
week in May you can still find some late mangos (maybe), prime lichees and
mangosteens. Mono-meal heaven: lichees or mangosteens for the noon meal;
durian for dinner. For about $10-15/day. Worth the airfare, no?

Someone (Peter?) posted a while back:

"Yes, fresh Monthong durians from Thailand. They can be bought at
Jimmy's 99 Ranch Market 988 N. Hill Street, Los Angeles 90012,
213-625-3399, May through June. Whether or not they are available
other times of the year I do not know. The price is about $10 a piece."

The instinctos in Hawaii plan (dream?) of starting a durian orchard in
Puna. With the growing Asian population in the USA mainland, there is
probably the opportunity to market them successfully, though I don't know
if Manis, et al. are thinking of it beyond feasting themselves!:)

There are a couple of durian web sights with fun photos. One called "the
durian page" is heaps of fun, and heaps of durian!

And then there is champadek, which is as incredible as durian. And Manis
favors a Philippino fruit, which I've never tasted, even over durian!
You'll never tell an instincto that Africa is the cradle of humanity when
all the truly tasty fruit is from the Malay arch. But durian is just the
king of fruits. Similar ecstasies await one with RAF when the metabolism
opens up to it.

Hey, Meredith! I like thinking of you and your father in Chinatown, visible
breath coming out of your mouths, scarfing some durian! (Stay away from the
durian "paste" sometimes available. It's very denatured...) As Zephyr
sometimes signs, watch out for falling durian, or was it, don't eat any
wooden durian?

Cheers,
Kirt