RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 21:32:48 -0500
Hi Ellie,

> My point about lysosomes was that the lysosomal enzymes, if not
> destroyed by cooking, are what consititute the condition of being
> "alive" that people attribute to raw unprocessed foods.

Well, lysosomes are not *found* in plant cells, so there is no question
of their being destroyed by cooking. Lysosomes, with their digestive
enzymes, are part of an animal cell. That's the first problem with the
definition of "alive" that you're referring to above.

It would not make sense, if you think about it, for a plant to contain
the enzymes necessary for a human to be able to digest the plant. And it
in fact does not happen that way in nature.

The second problem with that definition for "alive" is that there
already *is* a commonly recognized definition of "aliveness," and having
or not having digestive enzymes is just not part of that definition.

Love, Liza

[log in to unmask] (Liza May)