RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 16:16:11 +0000
Hi Kirt,

I'm not glad about the cultish aspects of the residents on Montrame. This and
the fact that nearly none of those I speak to on the phone, seem to be in a
good mental balance, prevented me upto now to visit the Chateau myself.

I call it the instincto-ghetto sometimes. There are no possibilities (AFAIK)
to reach to cooked food, if you don't want to leave the Chateau. And no cooked
food with its smells disturbs you. And despite all this I know that the re-
sidents (sometimes being more than one decade on Montrame!!!) overeat and
make bad combinations intentionally. I.e. they eat combinations they  k n o w
are bad for them.
This is completely irrational behavior for me. There must be strong psychoo-
gical reasons for this - or I haven't got another explanation.

My personal conclusion is, that these people will turn my instincto practice
down if I meet them. So I won't. Also I'm not interested in investigations on
the truth of all the rumours of their sex life. I don't know what's going on
there and I don't like to find it out.

Kirt: (from an older post)
>The cynic in me sees that new fear of meat as a ploy to make instincto more
>"politically correct" and less threatening to the vegetarian types. (Red
>meat is evil these days, no?) And it explains away Nicole's death very
>tidily. I'm surprised that Nicole's death didn't change any insider's
>attitude about "meta". Or did it?

I missed the question concerning meta in my answer. I don't know if something
changed there. Personally I'm not concerned with meta. I am doing my private
psychological investigations and that's enough for me. IMHO, Mr. Burger isn't
the genius he thinks he is and has enough to do to care for the practice of
e a t i n g   instincto.

Kirt:
>Hmmm. Outside of Burger's say so, do you have any support for that last
>sentence? "Plausible" is pretty weak. I can usually think of a half dozen
>plausible reasons for most dietary events--often in total contradiction
>with each other.

Nothing scientific here. It's just what I heard of others and found out to
be true with my own experience. Animal protein lasts several hours more
than vegetable protein to be digested in me. Also being protein-disbalanced
is heavier to bear for me than other disbalances, e.g. with sugar or carbo-
hydrates.

Kirt:
>So why don't the Chateau instinctos do that? As JL asked, why not seriously
>restrict fruit imports as well. And how about veggies, nearly all of which
>are even further bred away from their wild progenetors?

Right, the residents aren't bright examples of functioning instincto. See
above.
Concerning restrictions: I and Karl mentioned the trick with testing the
skin of overbreeded citrus fruits in earlier posts.
Also I stated that I'm trying to avoid peeling fruits/vegetables. One reason
for this is, that peeled ones seem to be easier to eat. Overeating is nearby
then.

Kirt: (from an older post)
>So what do you eat? Only ORKOS stuff? I am baffled that you appear to have

To answer this clearly here: Yes, only Orkos stuff, with a few exceptions,
e.g. in the main season of Vietnam: a local asia shop. And if I crave for
something and can't get it from Orkos (e.g. pepperoni) I sometimes eat a
commercially grown one if it's above the break-even-point (more useful than
downturning.)

Kirt:
>Yes, you had to face that. If you hang in there you will likely face more
>as time goes by. It takes a while to see the world ins't as simple as
>instincto--nor as simple as instincto with more and more ad hoc rules.

I have never claimed that instincto is easy. See my older posts regarding
this. It   s o u n d s   easy. That's all.

Kirt:=20
>Huh? Is this another Guy-Glaude analysis? For the record, I have no
>difficulty eating veggies after RAF, even salads. Instincto lore offers so
>many placebos (albeit theoretical ones) that it becomes nearly impossible
>to tell what people's experience might be w/o the indoctrination.

Okay, my problems with veggies after meat are my personal one as I stated.
Another point here: There was a time when I felt unsatisfied after meat/fish
and searched for something else to finish the meal. This has disappeared
and now I'm so satisfied that I haven't got even the idea to eat something
afterwards. So the problem has solved at least for me on another level.

I haven't got scientific/serious references for my statement that the
immune system has the hardest job with mammal meat. See above.

Kirt:
>Are you suggesting that this is what happens when you have difficulty
>digesting RAF?

No. This I stated only to give a good reason for my claim, that mammal
meat might be the hardest thing.

Kirt:
>I'm coming to the mind that a mono-meal is almost inherently _un_balanced.
>The consumption of one foods affects the taste of another, sometimes
>positively sometimes negatively. If you need a particular "nutritional
>profile" at a given meal it is unlikely that a single food would match that
>profile as exactly as a combination. Further, the digestion requirements
<(and probably nutrient contents) of a particular food alter the needed
>"nutritional profile" in mid-meal, so to speak. A most dramatic example of
<this is with a berry called the "miracle berry" where after eating a single
>berry, a few lemons, even unripe, can be eaten with sweet sweet pleasure by
>many people. Or: I encountered a herb in Thailand called ka-teen, which

I disagree here. Even if a single food doesn't match my nutritional require-
ments at a given meal I trust my instinct to let me choose the food that

matches the most urgent requirement. The next one might come at the next
meal. Anyway, if I am satisfied what else do I need?

I agree, that eating one food changes your requirements immediately. This is
a good reason for introducing a new rule: :-)
Don't choose your meal by smelling at the beginning and selecting the three
best foods. Instead smell all foods and eat the best one. Then again smell
all foods and eat that, that is now the best. And so on.

Kirt:
>right? OK, does tolerance ever develop with ORKOS food? I had some contacts
>at ORKOS through the early nineties and they knew full well what foods
>people over-ate. Apparently I'm not the only person on the planet who
>doesn't get much of a stop on avos ;) Further, one joke was repeated by the

Dunno if tolerance develops with Orkos food. I suspected the avocados of
Orkos to do so but for me I was wrong. But others (Karl?) made other obser-
vations.

Kirt:
>I left instincto many many months ago by eating salads consistently. I did
>it because it helped me enjoy otherwise unattractive veggies (relative to
>fruit) and not to eat so much fruit. I now am further from instincto as I

I admit that I eat more fruits than veggies and that I like the fruit-veggies
(tomatos, bell pepper, cucumber, sweet potato) more than the real hard ones
that are growing below the earth. But I also had phases where I ate kohlrabi
for months and it tasted wonderful like a mixture of apples and potatos.
I made my peace with the veggies. Currently I seem to prefer fruits and fruit-
veggies, but later? Who knows?

Kirt:
>test raw dairy, eat steamed veggies, and are you ready: enjoyed much of a
>glass of wine (organic, sulfite-free, of course ;)). Now, let's talk about
>a taste change: the wine had a clearer change than most fruit. So..it seems
>plausable to me that our paleolithic ancestors were making mead (a
>ermented honey drink) for a long enough period that we have evolved new
>genetic material to utilize it. ;) <it's a joke! but the taste-change
>wasn't...

Okay, here are my tips for such games:
Last year I ordered grapes from Orkos and juiced them manually (God, a hard
job!) I let the juice become alcoholic and it was the best red wine I have
ever drunken. Also it gave a clear stop.
Just some months ago I juiced some Orkos apples. The first liter tasted so
great I had to force myself not to empty the bottle immediately. I noted
a light overload (correct word?) of my digestion. It obviously was a bit too
much.
After the first liter it became unattractive. Bad luck.
If you have got a recipe for making mead, pass it!
I like to play a little with those things. I haven't become addicted to such
processed foods but would stop them mentally if this happened.

Kirt:
>Still, you nevertheless didn't respond to the original points.

I am taking the rules for this list very seriously. So I try hard to answer
all questions and have real contents in my answers. Would you mind to cut
and paste together the points I missed?

Kirt:
>of instinctos. Fringe diets attract fringe people, but, again, if instincto
>is True, why such a horrible track record?

Again, because people tend to complain if something goes wrong while they
are silent about their positive observations.

Kirt:
>touching, but try and imagine it from the other end and you might see
>yourself as overly-assured and wearing rose-colored glasses. Nirvana is a

I assume I haven't had enough difficulties yet. Although... if I count
them... and all the traps I have fallen in... Hmm.
Another guess: I'm not so fixed to nutrition as others. When I began eating
raw I had read the book of Helmut Wandmaker (very cruel and full of zealotry).
I decided that he didn't sound good in all points but at least that his
system of thinking was more than worth a try. So I stopped eating cooked food
immediately from one day to another.
I have had only one phase of two or three weeks afterwards when I was inten-
tionally (!) eating cooked food. Of course unintentionally eating cooked food
happened lots of times: simply go to the next supermarket and buy some
dates...

I hope you will find your Nirvana since Nirvana is
    the absence of the wind on the sea of the consciousness
and if there is no wind disturbing the surface of this sea you can look
through the whole sea and see the ground...

(Hope I translated this in an acceptable way. Bodhi can help me here.)

Best wishes,

Stefan