RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:51:47 +0100
Since Wes mentioned glycemic index, a good Web page on that subject is

http://www.cruzio.com/~mendosa/gi.htm

Examples:

(index 100 is for glucose; beware that some tables use white bread for
reference instead).

100 . . . . .  GLUCOSE
98 . . . . . . Potato, Russet, Baked
80 . . . . . . Cornflakes
72 . . . . . . White Rice
69 . . . . . . White Bread
62 . . . . . . Bananas, ripe
59 . . . . . . SUCROSE
59 . . . . . . Potatoes, new, boiled
59 . . . . . . Sweet Corn
51 . . . . . . Sweet Potato
45 . . . . . . Grapes
42 . . . . . . Whole Grain Rye Bread
39 . . . . . . Apples
30 . . . . . . Bananas, unripe
26 . . . . . . Peaches

--------------------
Unfortunately, the table doesn't say what the preparation method
is. In particular, I think "Potato, White" and "Sweet Potato" are
boiled, since that's how people consume them. For sweet corn, I don't
know, I guess it is cooked too.

Notice that cornflakes have a markedly higher GI than sweet corn. Same
remark for baked potato compared to boiled potato. Whole bread is
cooked but doesn't have a high GI, thanks to the fiber.

What would be interesting is to know the GI of "undercooked"
potatoes. Probably it would be intermediate between the number for
boiled potatoes and for raw potatoes -similar or lower than the GI of
common fruits.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>

P.S. Whenever I cook potatoes (once in a blue moon), they are
undercooked by SAD standards (cut in slices and boil or microwave for
4 minutes -still crispy).