RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roy P D'Souza" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 96 10:04:00 PDT
Hello,

I recently got my cholesterol levels checked (by a regular lab after
fasting for more than 12 hours).
Being a vegan for many years (except for the occasional cheese pizza and
the rare dairy-based East Indian dishes), I expected my levels to be in
the low hundreds. However I was surprised to find from the results that
my levels are 283 (LDL 215, HDL 45). This was reconfirmed by a second
test that came quite close.

Either I am one of the unlucky few whose bodies is generating more
cholesterol than necessary. Or my high-fat vegan diet (avocados, olives,
etc..) is somehow causing my body to metabolize more cholesterol.

Would somebody be willing to explain how/if the latter is possible?
(high levels of dietary non-animal vegetarian source fatty acids causing
a rise in cholesterol levels.) A number of people have told me that this
happens. However these same people also tell me that there is
cholesterol in coconut, therefore I'm rather skeptical.

My diet is mostly cooked, but I intend to move towards raw. Would this
have any impact on atherosclerosis?

My doctor doesn't seem to know much about nutrition. His reaction to my
cholesterol levels is to prescribe cholesterol-reducing medication. I
wish I could get a more informed doctor. Perhaps Bodhi might know a
raw-aware vegetarian-friendly general practitioner in the SF Bay area
(Silicon valley)?

Thanks,

Roy