RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 07:51:38 -0500
Susan Carmack asked:

>How is Hackepeter prepared? I can't find a recipe anywhere.

I did some searching (AltaVista and DejaNews) and only came up with a
recipe in German (for Schmorgurke), which used this as an ingredient. So I
asked in rec.food.cooking. So far:

From: Doris Dunn <[log in to unmask]>

Hackepeter is the german word for lean chopped (ground) beef.  It is used in
dishes that in English is called tatar.
My grandmother liked to eat it.
She mixed the raw chopped beef with very finly chopped onions a raw egg and
salt and pepper and ate it on buttered rye bread.
We did not know about salmonella in those days.

From: Wolfgang H=E4rtel <[log in to unmask]>

Doris, your right except that it is ground pork rather than beef! The
word "Hackepeter" is common in former East Germany wheras in Northern
Germany it is called "Schweinemett".

From: [log in to unmask] (Carmen Bartels)

Hackepeter is just raw ground pork meat seasoned with salt and pepper.
Other names for it are Th=FCringer Mett or just plain Mett.
It tastes wonderful on half rye- half wheat bread and covered with
unfried onion-rings.