RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:44:41 -0700
Oh, Meredith, I owe you, I owe you...

>Submitted to veg-raw by: Meredith Westfall <[log in to unmask]>
>Kirt,how you can have hachiya and not fuyu persimmons I will  not
>understand.  I just called a wholesaler fruit guy cuz I need to get my
>fill.

To each his/her own, eh? I am similarily baffled about how you can prefer
fuyu to hachiya. Fuyus, to me (and Melisa) are about in the same league as
apples--ie, mostly boring. Perhaps there is something I don't know about
fuyus. They are non-astringent so people generally eat them when still
firm, no? I have tried a few fuyus when they were a bit soft but they were
insipid instead of sweet. Hachiyas on the other hand are pure nectar. One
lets them get as unseemingly soft as a rotton tomato, and then waits
another day or two (learning the "patience of the persimmon") before eating
them. I like to suck the nectar from the blossom point (though the whole
thing often falls apart soon into the operation), whereas Melisa makes a
real good mess in a bowl using a spoon. She also loves the weird pulpy
"seeds" which are just slime to me. In any case, the flavor
is...pumpkin/cinamin/sweet potato/desert honey/brown sugar squash/"orange
sucker taste last night" --this last one just contributed live from Melisa.

We planted a persimmon tree (Hachiya) last month but it is rebelling. We'll
see.

>I just bought some maple syrup because I've been craving walnuts,
>grapefruit pieces and maple syrup.  have to get walnuts tomorroe.
>Nothing ever happens in one step for me.  By the time I get the walnuts,
>I will have run out of one of the other ingredients.

My uncle in Door County WI makes his annual batch of maple syrup which
includes 24 hours of boiling over an open fire. Maple syrup is a very
cooked sugar. Maple sap has a very interesting flavor (and clear taste
change) which is an interesting contrast with the processed syrup. Say, you
might get off on dark honeys if you're going for maple syrup.

>Does anyone exercise early in the am?

At about 5:30am when I am working. Otherwise whenever we get around to it,
but usually before eating anything (except maybe cassia). Ideally, I'd jog
in the am and swim in the pm which somehow helps to separate my neurotic
jobs (teaching) from my "real life". It's great to have exercise out of the
way right off the bat. I have a great memory of an early New Year's Day run
with Melisa in fresh snow. Everyone seems hung over, but it feels good to
greet the year with a see-your-breath jog along Lake Michigan.

>If so, what do you recommend forCfood/drink?  If I don't have anything,
>I get the burn.  Is that psychological?

What's the burn? asked Kirt in total ignorance...

Bonus story: Years ago in Milwaukee, I would go to a Mexican grocery on the
south side and get little 12-mango flats for $5 or $6 in season. One time
we were trying to sell a car, and a guy came over early interupting a
delightful mono-meal of mangos. We went out for the testdrive and chatted a
while and he said he'd give me a call after he looked at a few more cars.
So I go back up to our apt and notice that my beard is _all_ orangey from
eating the mangos. In my haste I didn't wash up properly. And I wondering,
"why didn't the guy say something or stare a bit or something" --a question
I asked him went he returned with the money for the car. He said he didn't
know what to say, that he thought maybe I was strange. But not strange
enough to scare him off of the car. It was a good laugh, but it still kills
me that he didn't even flinch talking with a guy with hardening mango juice
in his beard.

Cheers,
Kirt