RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 00:06:46 -0700
Hey Roy!

Loved your progress report! Inspiring stuff...

>The cassia works very predictably: after about an hour and 15 minutes
>after I eat, my stomach starts feeling cramped. About an hour after that
>the bowels move (rather dramatically.) And when you go, you really HAVE
>TO GO! (So I arrange my schedule around this.)

Yeah, it kinda plans your day a little bit, eh? ;)

>Anyway, I'm approaching 6 FULL weeks of RAW, and by breath is still
>normal!
>The cassia also appears to have prevented the other symptoms I normally
>get when I go raw, such as fatigue/lethargy and mild skin problems.

It is as close to a wonder detoxer as one can get.

>The stomach cramps when on 15 cassia disks can be rather severe, so I
>have now cut back to about 5. I'll up the dosage if there are any
>symptoms of mediciny breath. The disks are really tasty, and I fear that
>if I kept eating till a taste change, I'd probably consume most of my
>stash.

As I mentioned to you privately there is no law that you must eat cassia to
the stop, and if you find it best to eat 5 disks, then do 5 disks. Detoxing
isn't a race. The idea is to get over the hump, where all-raw is pleasure
instead of a drag. Cassia speeds it up is all, but that can be really
important.

Melisa has hardly ever used cassia--she hates any detoxing, and likes it
slow and steady. I tested it daily for four years in Bangkok where it was
free for the gathering. After a time I wouldn't have attraction for days,
sometimes weeks even when I just didn't have a taste for it. And then all
of a sudden it would be like chocalate mints again for a time. Occasionally
I eat some cassia (as much as twenty disks and more an it "disappears", no
darkened portion of feces, no nothing. Weird! I would always be coming up
with "reasons" for the cassia attraction but there was really never a
consistency to it. It reallys makes one consider that the body has its own
agenda and our neo-cortex hasn't the slightest idea what is really going on
in there.

As for the cramping, it usually lessens after a time. I know it seems scary
sometimes, and I think it is a good idea to respect cassia, but there is
little to _fear_ in eating large amounts. While it may be inconvenient
rushing to the bathroom at 2pm everyday, many hundreds (perhaps thousands
over the years) of people have had cramping (sometimes severe) and have not
had any permanent damage that I have ever heard of. (Perhaps some of the
French subscribers have more news to share about cassia's safety or lack
thereof.) When my supply was umlimited in Bangkok, and it was tasting good
I have eaten as much as two big pods (perhaps four or five feet in total),
and have eaten more than one whole pod dozens of times through out the
years. My "average" (when I have a taste for it) is probably a half pod or
so (how many disks is that--a couple dozen maybe?) But somtimes the taste
falls away after a few disks.

>I think
>cassia is awesome!

It really is, isn't it? People have _no_idea_ of its power to help one
attain an all-raw diet, to get over the hump. I always considered that
using cassia kept raw foods tasting better and better. I looked at it as
the cassia detox was making way for all the new repair work, and the raw
stuff tasted better and better because it was so useful in rebuilding and
repair. I would even generalize that a day "cassia fasting" (eating only
cassia and water in between as desired) is equivilent to a week on water
alone. Further, I have been frustrated on water fasts, and had some cassia,
BMed, and continued fasting with more ease. It seems to be what people are
after with the herbal purges, enemas, colonics, etc. I feel it is far
superior to any of those because your body is able to regulate the cassia
"dosage" by taste, whereas the other measures are always more or less
invasive and more "idea-driven".

Some other cassia tidbits: The tree is absolutely beautiful, stunning in
its multitude of yellow flowers and round black pods hanging among the
"golden shower" of the blossoms (which is also the common name for the
tree). It keeps well in its pods, and even when removed into jars (what
more could one ask!). And I've heard of one story about a women who grew up
eating it as a kid like candy in Viet Nam (with no detox effects) and as an
adult when she went raw, the cassia had little effect on her. Strange and
interesting.

>I got my initial stash of cassia from a friend who smuggled them in from
>Pangaia. (Apparently the US Agriculture Dept. frowns on imports of fruit
>from Hawaii.) When I ran out, I got Manis to "de-pod" and bottle some.
>It turns out that if you ship the disks in a bottle, then they don't
>constitute fruit, hence don't risk getting confiscated.

After the initial rush of interest which has started regarding cassia
(several people have made orders in the last few months, I hear) I wouldn't
be surprised if there comes a time of shortage. When people realize how
useful cassia is the demand may outstrip the supply and/or the price may
rise considerably (simple economics) until some commercial production (or
serious importation) takes place. Still, I very much doubt if cassia should
be used regularily in conjunction with anything less than an all-raw diet.
Except possibly as a "fasting aid" I think anyone (even 90& raw) still
eating cooked will find that they spend way too much time on the toilet if
they have cassia.

And, Roy, I can't resist asking you: do you smell "old" smells being
detoxed along with the cassia BMs?

Cheers,
Kirt