RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:33:20 -0500
Coleman:
>> Once the cattle arrive at Coleman Certified Feed yards, they consume a
>> carefully controlled blend of corn, hay and a protein supplement that is
>> regularly tested for antibiotics and residues of pesticides and herbicides.

Jean-Louis:
>What they don't say is: how many % does the "supplement" constitute? What is
>that "protein" supplement?
>[Remark: in Europe, organic animals must be fed at least 90% organic]

Good question. When I call them one day soon, I will ask them.

Jean-Louis:
>They don't say how sick animals are treated either [In Europe, animals are
>vaccinated, and, except in rare occasions, only homeopathy, phytotherapy,
>oligo-elements, metals and natural products, and magnesium chloride {not
sure}
>are used].

They get around this by saying: "Our animals never receive any antibiotics
or growth hormones from the time they are born.  Any animal requiring
therapeutic treatment is treated and removed from the herd.  No antibiotics
were ever added to the feed. Only vitamins and minerals are added to these
feeds."

However, I will run this by them as well but I assume what they mean is
that when the animal is well they sell it off to commercial suppliers.

Peter:
>> It is a known fat that stress in cattle produces less desirable beef.
                   ^^^^^
Jean-Louis:
>Was that an intentional typo? :)

No, it was an unconscious protest against them raising their animals so
lean. ;-)

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

Best, Peter