RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 18:58:03 -0700
Skip,

Hmm, such a strong reaction, so I gather you avoid meat.  Isn't it all
the same - meat, cheese, yogurt, butter, escargot, caviar, chicken eggs,
fish, poultry or other flesh products?  There isn't much difference,
really, now is there, if you think about it - it all comes from another
creature that has a face.

Skip Converse wrote:
> Why would anyone want to eat meat?   And then on top of that:  RAW?   Eh
> ghads, man!

I assume people eat meat for the same reason you eat anything.  You have
learned to like or not like to eat things based on your upbringing and
culture, etc.  I am an American of Asian descent and enjoy raw fish, but
I know many Americans who wouldn't ever try it, espeically those not
exposed to Asian food. In Japan the Gerber baby food company offers fish
baby food, but never is that product seen here in the US.

If you've ever had smoked, dried (jerky) or pickled fish or meat, you've
likely eaten raw flesh foods.  That distaste you express is cultural and
learned from an early age, very psychological.  But then again, don't
you think that most food preferences are learned?  I bet all of us are
descended from people who survived well from eating meat, and, so in
some way are genetically programmed to be healthy by having some in our
diets. If you think it is "bad" you might want to think about why you
think so.

regards