RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 19:35:35 -0600
* Thomas E. Billings ([log in to unmask]) [991008 11:45]:
* Subject: Re: Loetschental Valley:
> >I found a reference in a book on longevity by Hitchcox
> >where the average coloric intake of the Hunzas, the
> >Russian Georgians, and the Vilcabamba indians was given.
> >All were considerably lower than the American average,
> >but the lowest was the Vilcabambas at 1200 cal/day.
> >This is a average, and not much higher than Loren's.
>
> And what is known about the accuracy of such estimates?
> Self-reporting of food intake is often inaccurate, due to
> uncertain portion sizes, memory lapses, and the limits on
> food tables (especially tables that don't include the
> foods eaten in the region of interest).

That's a good question, and unfortunately I can't answer
it since I just browsed the book at a used-bookstore and
didn't purchase it.  I did notice, however, that it was
a heavily cited book, but I didn't grab the references for
the table.  :-(

--alan