RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:22:43 -0700

> >while eating alfalfa sprout/avocado nori rolls (vegan biogenic
> >sushi?),
> A food combo I've never even contemplated, much less eaten.  I'll have to
> keep that recipe in mind!  Thank you.  On the other hand, I'm mostly
> eating my foods like animals and Instinctos now, one food item at a time,
> so I don't often "do recipes."

aloha rob!
	  i hear you on instinctive eating.  reading _eating instinctively
on earth: an autobiography and guidebook_ by zephyr introduced me to
instincto lore.  originally published as _how i eat on earth and how you can
too!_, i understand zephyr now goes by the name "ano" (originally d.
tarletz).  i read of pangaia in a issue of _remineralize the earth_, where
they advertized a newsletter and had the earlier title: sustaining
pleasures.  instinctive raw food permaculture in pahoa, hi.  i last heard of
ano staying in summerland, california.
	i haven't finished _instinctive nutrition_ by severen l. shaeffer,
but i have enjoyed reading his "revolutionary approach to nutrition &
health."  my previously all-raw (now high-raw) buddy at ucsc (whom i met at
my first **sf life** meeting (then the sflfsg [see previous post]), read mr.
shaeffer's tome in one night.  he liked it, but i think it scared him a
little, too.  he says he sometimes wishes he could forget all about food.
return to how it "used to be."  yet he maintains an 80%+ live food diet.  he
admits to not feeling "paradise health."
	mmm... i like eating 100% raw for many reasons, one of which just
occured to me.  i don't feel attracted to calculating percentages.  how do
you base your estimation of the ratio of raw to cooked?  weight, volume,
calories, enjoyment, etc...  then again, i still have people ask me my
fruit:vegetable ratio.  how about --

fruit:vegetable:seed:nut:flower:beehive:chlorella:spirulina:sbga:water

	and the four categories of living food i first read in an article by
steve hurwitz --

	sprouted:raw:dried:fermented

or the essene scheme of dr. edmond bordeaux szekely --

	biogenic:bioactive:biostatic:biocidic

someone will post it if i don't, so here you go --

	fat:protein:carbohydrate

with a tip o' the hat to george ohsawa --

	sodium:potassium  (his yin:yang)

good ole' george put us all in one set with _you are all sanpaku_ (anyone
heard of the band "sam paku"?
check out _energetics of food: encounters with your most intimate
relationship_ by steve gagne` --

	cool:warm  dry:damp 		(temperament)
	down:up  out:in  		(direction)
	lower:middle:upper		(body position)
	slow:fast  regular:irregular 	(rhythm)

i'll give you a bit more of steve in a future post.  the vedic wisdom of
india recognizes three dominant qualities in food --

	sattwas:rajas:tamas  sattvic:rajasic:tamasic

dosha-pacifying foods fall into 3 categories --

	vata:pitta:kapha

a balanced ayurvedic meal has all six rasas (tastes) --

	sweet:sour:salty:bitter:pungent:astringent

for those who want to combine the two previous ones --

	sweet: 	    + kapha : - pitta : - vata
	sour:	    + kapha : + pitta : - vata
	salt: 	    + kapha : + pitta : - vata
	bitter:	    - kapha : - pitta : + vata
	pungent:    - kapha : + pitta : + vata
	astringent: - kapha : - pitta : + vata
			{{+ increases, - decreases}}

inspired by gabriel cousens _spiritual nutrition & the rainbow diet_ --

	red:orange:yellow-golden	(morning)
	yellow-golden:green:blue	(midday)
	blue:indigo:purple:gold:white	(evening)

"each food according to its outer color, which is its reflecting surface,
can be related to the specific color and energy of a particular chakra."

> >swami banana gave a workshop there at one point, dressed in
> >yellow with dark brown/black spots.
> Good story; I enjoyed it.

	"may the banana be with you"

> >my last year of high school involved, among other things, buying 40
> >pound crates of organic bananas & keeping them in my room to slowly
> >ripen.  turning almost completely dark, the inside would remain pristine
> >white.  amazing what lack of handling will do to the "bruising problem."
> So how does one go about buying a 40# crate of bananas anyhow?  How long
> do they take to ripen, and how fast do you have to eat them when they do?
>  I assume they all ripen at once, no?

i worked at a health food store ("country sun natural foods" in palo alto),
where people buying a case of product and received 10% off.  rather standard
practice, eh?  i sometimes worked the register, occasionally the deli (!),
with my favorite days assigned to produce.  spraying carrots i'd just laid
out, spot-filling fast-selling items, i loved working with so much fresh
food.  i would invariably buy a 40# case of bananas when not on my bike, a
friend or relative supplying petrol-powered wheels.
	ripening time depends on many factors.  without speculating on how
their journey to you went (growing, picking, packing, loading, shipping,
unloading, etc.), lets look at what you can effect.  temperature, air
circulation, light.  i would keep the crate in a low, dark corner of my room
in a cabinet.  the cheap cabinet allowed much air to enter & escape.  this
slowed their ripening, cool, dark & airy.  taking 5 or more fruits and
wrapping them in a paper bag, and placing it up high, or above the
refrigerator, would allow me to quickly savor the ideal food.  i didn't mind
the "ripening all at once," because of slight variation among those still in
the crate, and the length of time from when the first spots appear to total
overripeness.  from ucb's _the wellness encyclopedia of food and nutrition_:

	"bananas that require further ripening should be left at room
temperature, but away from heat or direct sun.  to speed ripening, plant
them in a plastic or paper bag; you can also put an apple in the bag with
the banana to hasten the process (the apple, however, will orverripen to a
mealy mush).  once ripened to your liking, bananas can be held at room
temperature for about a day or two.  then, you can store them in the
refrigerator to slow down ripening; although the skins will turn dark, the
fruits will remain perfectly edible.  you can keep refrigerated bananas for
up to two weeks.  you should never refrigerate unripe bananas, however: the
exposure to cold interrupts their ripening cycle, and it will not resume
even if the fruits are returned to room temperature."
	"you can salvage an overabundance of overripe bananas by peeling
them, wrapping the whole or in chunks in plastic wrap, and freezing them.
eat them frozen (a sweet treat in summer) or thaw them and use in baking."

	please disregard that last bit on baking & plastic wrap.  if you
must freeze bananas, go with glass, or at least reusable plastic tupperware.
from the same book:
			"a tree that's not a tree"

	"despite their elongated shape and distinctive packaging, bananas
are actually a type of berry, and banana "trees" are really huge plants
botanically classified as herbs.  the plants can grow anywhere from 15 to 30
feet high, and have a slender "trunk" made up of tightly wrapped layers of
leaves -- making them the largest plants in the world without a woody stem.
 yet some varieties are very fragile; a strong wind can wipe out a growing
field in minutes."
	"each plant consists of huge leaves -- so large that they are used
to thatch roofs and make umbrellas in some parts of the tropics.  the plant
develops a single stem and bud that sustains rows of tiny flowers, each one
of which becomes an individual banana, called a "finger."  the bananas,
which form into clusters of ten to twenty, called "hands," grow out and
upward so that they appear to be upside down.  a plant produces seven to
nine hands."

a few more that have popped into my head --

	mucusless:mucuslean:mucusforming

(see upcoming post on homophobic arnold ehret)  walk on the wild side --

	wild:cultivated

eating on three levels again --

	tree fruit : surface vegetable : ground root

organic sales have gone up 20%/year for the past six years --

	organic:transitional:conventional

dust for life!  bread from stones!  rock powder your soil --

	remineralized:leached

"one cultivates the soil, and by soil one is cultivated" --

	homegrown:?grown

think globally, eat locally --

	local:distant

how many more food ratios can you describe your diet with?

eccentrically,
	      bodhi