RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:12:03 -0600
In the February issue of Spin Magazine there is a 6-page article titled
"Gastronauts/ Totally Raw - Going Way Beyond Vegan With Cali's Food
Radicals."  The article is a little sensational and light on (correct)
factual information but nevertheless gives a good overview of the
extremist,"raw" fringe in the US.  Juliano, who opened the "Raw" restaurant
in SF a few years ago - he will be opening up a new, raw food restaurant in
Santa Monica this week - is given the most coverage and is clearly the main
inspiration for the article.  He is pictured in best NFL style climbing an
orange tree in the nude and seems equally committed in quotes throughout
the article to the arrogant and egomaniacal antics of the infamous trio.

Spin: "As he (Juliano) talks, his eyes often grow wide with wonder and
amazement, usually at himself.  "I swear, I'm an instrument," he says.
"I'm like the messiah to bring in the new world." And: " Dude, I'm an
instrument and there is a higher power working through me! He breaks up
laughing, his expression saying he knows how ridiculous it sounds, but it's
true. "I swear! I don't know why I was selected, how come no one invented
raw pizzas, raw burritos, raw cheeseburgers.""

Comment:  Beats me as well, but maybe there is a lesson about the (vain)
trappings of  egocentricity to be found in there somewhere. ;-)

Spin: "The participants (of raw food sects) are mostly outsiders -
post-hippies, ex-skinheads, cancer recoverers, Woody Harrelson - and the
energy is classic subcult.  Citing scientific research or karmic law,
believers pursue their regimes with Talmudic diligence, the ideological
menu ranging from neo-hippie utopianism to quasi-fascistic purism. And
there are a lot of them:  Author and publisher Steve Arlin estimates sales
of the raw-promoting "Nature's First Law" at 300,000."

Comment:  That is 199,770 above my own estimate - however, if Arlin's
figure is true, it would be a good time for the Hovannessian family to
bring on their lawsuit. ;-)

The article covers raw veganism, fruitarianism, instincto and
breatharianism, drops names of movie and rock stars with raw leanings and
gives mention to Wigmore, Kulvinskas, Roe Gallo, Jeremy Safron, Jasmuheen,
Wiley Brooks, Annie & David Jubb, Aajonus and David Karas.

Best, Peter