RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 22:34:16 -0500
I am in the process of contacting the major spirulina producers in the US
to get their feedback on the B12 analogue issue.

So far, I have received one response with the following highlights:

(1) They now have a new testing method that shows that the B12 from
spirulina is 70-80% analogue.

(2) They refer to a study in which deficient vegans had their B-12 restored
by feeding of extracts from their feces. The feces provided both analog and
true B-12, yet the status was restored in spite of this. I am trying to
track this study down.

(3) My contact person says that he has been consuming 5-10 grams of
spirulina a day - for how long I do not know, yet - and he says that he
will give me the results of his next B12 test.

I will report back as I discover more about this issue.

Best, Peter

PS. Ward, thanks a lot for setting the record straight regarding Victor
Herbert and B12. Because of his record as a "quack buster" I have until
recently refused to listen to anything he had to say on this issue.
Thanks, also, to Lisa, Aaron and Gregg for their informative B12 references.