RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:58:02 -0600
J-L:

> Why don't you do it yourself for a week and report to the list? I
> would be interested on a typical day's menu. Would it be 20 avocados?
> Or 10 avocados, 300 grams nuts, 7 sweet potatoes?? My intestines are
> clogged, only by the thought of that!

For 6,000 calories? I don't feel I want to do it. My diet as it is
however, contains 3,000 or more all raw calories per day. And this is
significant when we consider the fact I eat a large amount of lower cal
foods in addition to the higher cal (such as nuts, seeds, avos, bananas,
soaked grains, dates, eggs, flax oil, etc.)

If I were to include such things as butter, and perhaps more avocados,
nuts, eggs, fruit, & so forth, in addition to lessening the volume of
leafy greens, and other lower cal foods (veggies and other lower cal
fruits), I could do it.

> > My thought is that gluten is only harmful when cooked...
>
> Not true. I know (in person) raw fooders who have allergic reactions
> to sprouted grains. Eating raw might help, because possibly you eat
> less wheat and/or sprouting reduces the gluten content, but still some
> people can't tolerate it.

Seeing as how cooking alters proteins...including gluten...doesn't this
make a difference?!

And anyway, the only gluten-containing food I eat currently is oat
groats, soaked. I eat maybe 3-5 oz. dry weight on a given day, and not
every day.

> My opinion is:
>  -If you can eat (digest) raw starch, do it.
>  -If you can't eat raw starch, and have blood sugar problems, eat
(snip)
> some lightly cooked starch might help to reduce your fruit intake.
> Nutritional value of cooked starch:
>  -USUALLY more digestible than raw starch (i.e. for MOST people).
>  -starch: structure altered by cooking, of course, but that's also
> what makes it more digestible ("gelatinization of starch").
>  -good source of energy (calories)
(etc.)

Another option: Don't eat any starch at all!! There are people who eat
zero-starch diets, and do well. We may not even need starch. How about
raw fats and fruit, etc. for calories instead of using starch?

Wes