RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 00:47:10 -0400
It seems to me that lately there seems to be a tacit agreement that
legitimate science degrees imply that somehow the person is LESS
qualified.  To me that's a little over-reaction, maybe.

Achieving an academic degree DOES in fact, say that the person at
least was exposed to some information, and most likely learned some
things about attempting to be unbiased in research, and has also
thought about ethics. There are many _ethical_ issues which one is
forced to face head-on, and make tough decisions about, and figure
out one's values, which many people not in the sciences don't even
know about, or don't ever have to face.

In my opinion an academic degree also says something about a
person's stick-to-it-iveness when it comes to the gruelingly awful
demands of achieving an academic degree. It takes INCREDIBLE grit
and determination to put in the years of solitary grinding away, to
go deeply into debt, and put in endless hours of unpaid research,
the sheer exhaustion, the unjust politics, and all that is required
to get that degree.

I've personally known a lifetime of scientists, internationally. And
I can say that almost always, when it comes to scientists, all those
years of "sacrifice" in school are viewed as COMPLETELY worth it, if
it allows one to continue to be able to follow one's heart, and
PASSION, of wondering and asking about the universe. Most of the
scientists I know, when it comes down to it, are just like this.
They are just, simply, AWESOMEIFIED by the awesomeness of life, and
LOVE the opportunity to devote their lives to figuring out stuff
about it.

Furthermore, I know what it takes to get a degree, (just in terms of
mental and physical effort), and I'm familiar with the type of
personality that's brave enough and tough enough to take on the
challenge of this kind of goal.  I have a lot of respect for
academic degrees. And in particular, I have a lot of respect for
science degrees, and scientists in general. I like the principles
that are valued in the world of science.

Of course a degree doesn't NECESSARILY make a better person, but it
does tell you something, at least, about a person's tenacity, and
something about their knowledge. Education opens up whole WORLDS of
knowledge, and thought, and exposure to all the great thinking of
our ancestors.

I guess I'm not sure why academic degrees are getting snubbed a
little here lately. Seems a little short-sighted to me!  :)

Love Liza
--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)