RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Denis PEYRAT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 01:07:56 +0200 (MET DST)
Denis
>>62 % of 21 Masai examined were malabsorbers of lactose as measured by the
>>lactose tolerance test, even though they did not show sign of intolerance.

Jean Louis
>In the classic literature about lactose, the word "intolerance" usually
>refers to symptoms like diarrhea. Even worse, one of my friends (who is
>chinese) vomits each time he drinks milk (but concentrate milk in his
>coffee is OK). The proportion of lactose intolerants is much higher in the
>African population than in Europe.

Denis :

Coming back on the subject with the detailed report   on the study :

The subjects of the study on milk intolerance amongst the Masai were 21
children between the ages of 5 and 14 years. In oder to select the
participants, detailed histories of milk intake were obtained from their
families, and "only those who did not have any history of allergies or
diarrhea" (most probably linked to milk)" within the previous month were
used for testing Lactose Tolerance LTT".

I think that is clear enough. The study was not intended  to demonstrate
that there was no symptoms  of intolerance amongst Masai, but rather that
the  LTT test was "not an entirely reliable predictor of milk intolerance"
as could be revealed  by symptoms  of allergies and diarrhea.
Actually the very fact that children presenting such symptoms were, under
this protocole, kept out of the experiment, shows that Masai children are
afflicted by such symptoms from time to time . The contrary would have been
quite surprising....

In addition , you will probably concur with the idea that the absence of
symptoms doesn't mean the absence of damageable nutritional  practices ....

Cheers
Denis