RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 08:53:34 -0700
The following material was written by Morris Krok, not by me. I am posting
it to the net as a public service. There is a fair amount of repetition in
the material, as it consists of notes written on more than one occasion.

Net posting notes:

* I asked Morris specifically for permission to post this on raw-food,
veg-raw, Intestinal Health (I am not on that list, but if you want to post
it, Sheila, it's OK), and he approved.

* Due to the 500 line limit (per post) on raw-food, it will be posted in
3 parts there, in one part on veg-raw.

* Due to the 5 posts/day limit on raw-food, my ability to discuss this material
on raw food will be very limited on the day of posting.

* I added another document at the end, sent by Morris, that lists his books.

* I give an address where people in the U.S. can order the books of Morris
Krok. I recommend that particular supplier over others, as it is Morris'
daughter, and his family here benefits as well. (Morris lives in South
Africa.)

* I am passing the material on as received - the format could be improved, in
my view. However, regardless of format, it is interesting.

I hope the material is of interest to some readers.

P.S. Special note - at the end of the first paper, note the interesting remarks
re: eating too much fruit.

P.S. #2. I have not gotten back to the "Essential Advice" series yet - hope
to do so in October.

Regards,
Tom Billings

=============begin material by Morris Krok===================
                        Preamble to Exeter Talk.
        Most of this written prior to my arrival in Devon
                        by Morris Krok

        However, I am pleased to be in the land where the Druids spoke Cornish and
 drunk their honey brewed drink, mead, and where Caeser came, saw and
 conquered.
        Let us discover what all the world is seeking. Seeking for an unobstructed
 body where everything flows with frictionless ease - blood circulation,
 nerve energy and a mind that has been transformed and fully aware. The
 yogis talk of the mind as the thousand petalled lotus that when awakened
 shines like burnished brass.
        Every invention, science and discovery has its simple principle or set of
 simple principles. The mind of man has not been constructed to understand
 the impossible or the web of complexity that civilization has woven. If
 there is a solution it must be simple or there is no solution. As far as
 health and clarity of thought is concerned, the key is found in the Nature
 Cure philosophy and embedded in the science of Hatha Yoga. When you strip
 these two of their unessentials, it amounts almost to doing nothing
 intelligently. The search for the simple key is more fascinating than all
 the mysteries that can be ever written as it deals with life's most
 important teachings that directly and intimately affects each and every one
 of us. Its ending, unfortunately for those who love drama, is an anticlimax
 because of its simplicity, making most of the claims in books and
 laboratory produced elixirs irrelevant and redundant; for the simple way
 needs none of these because it extracts all of life's goodness without
 pageantry and ceremony.
        Early on in my studies I stumbled on the book that opened the door to this
 simple way. It is Heaven Lies Within Us which I republished under the title
 Yoga Gave me Superior Health. On page 40 of this book, the key is given.
 For the author Theos Bernard to make the desired progress in some advanced
 yoga techniques he had to internally purify himself. His teacher did not
 tell him that he had to eat a special food or take a laboratory produced
 substance. Before he applied these purifying measures his attempts were
 foiled by aches and pains in many parts of the body. The need to internally
 purify the body is found in a concise way in the yoga texts. Although the
 ancient yogis did not mince words, those sutras, as they are called, are
 the greatest legacy that the ancient world has bestowed on modern man. In a
 later chapter of Heaven Lies Within Us, we are told how some yogis
 abstained from the eating of grains so that their breathing can become so
 silent that it would not cause a feather to move.
        In "Hatha Yoga" another book written by Theos Bernard, on page 68 he tells
 how his saliva was thick, heavy and slimy but became thin and transparent
 as he continued with the internal purification.=20
        But I was also fortunate to be given Dr Abramowski's Fruitarian Diet to
 Physical Rejuvenation. At the beginning of this century in England there
 was a Society called the "Order of the Golden Age". It folded up in the
 1920's as its purpose was taken over by the Vegetarian Society or similar
 groups. On its termination all its remaining literature was taken over by a
 lady in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, fifty miles from Durban where I was
 living. She kept up the distribution through letters to the newspapers.
 After contacting her, because of my interest and because she was getting on
 in years, she gave me all the remaining literature including Dr
 Abramowski's work. In his booklet the doctor explains how he rejuvenated
 himself with raw foods and his outdoor activites such as gardening.
        Another work of a stirring nature is Tony Officer's "Why Grow Old". This
 man who lived to be 94 years of age was very ill while living in Central
 Africa. He was in his sixties at the time. At times he would sleep for
 weeks as he contacted the dreaded sleeping sickness which is supposed to be
 caused by the bite of a tsete fly. In addition he was afflicted with severe
 bronchitis. As his days seemed numbered he decided to live in a hamock
 which he placed over a hot mineral spring. For two weeks he drank this
 water and bathed in it. The fresh air, the sunshine and water worked
 wonders as all his symptoms left him and he felt rejuvenated. For the rest
 of his life he taught people a simple system of purifying the digestive
 tract each morning by drinking six or more glasses of warm water in quick
 succession. The first glass of water which was to be drunk twenty minutes
 before the others had to contain the juice of half a lemon and some honey.
 This drink not only adds alkaline elements to the body but is also suppose
 to stimulate the liver. The reason for drinking this quantity of water is
 to create internal cleansing pressure so as to wash away or dilute any food
 remnants from the evening meal. What remained in the digestive tract the
 next morning, according to him was waste and best washed out of the system.
 He also believed that a large quantity of water drunk on an empty stomach
 encouraged peristalsis and a bowel movement.
        It is interesting to note that he discovered independently what the yogis
 taught and also what some Bantu tribes of Africa did a few times a week: to
 regurgitate the contents of the stomach by drinking large amounts of water.
  Cleansing the stomach in this manner is one of the methods the yogis used
 to cleanse the system. Tony Officer incidentally made it clear in his
 writings that germs and viruses cannot live or propagate in a purified
 body. He also mentioned an interesting anatomical fact - the role of the
 ileo-caecal valve. This valve between the small intestine and the colon is
 a unique device that only allows solids to pass into the colon but no
 liquids. So if you drink one glass of water or ten as this valve prevents
 it from passing into the colon as the water has to be absorbed by the villi
 into the bloodstream.
        Healing by Water by T Hartley-Hennessy added the final touches. This book
 talks about the use of the healing properties of sun drenched water, fresh
 air and sunshine in various civilizations from ancient times. By drinking
 the lightest running stream water or rain water, and also by using it
 externally in the form of compresses the water by its osmotic properties
 would force toxic matter out of the lymph and general circulation as boils
 and suppurations through the skin. Osmosis means that a light fluid
 entering a membrane has the ability to force heavier substances lying on
 the other side out through the skin.

        You cannot trap life or vitality in a bottle and you cannot store sunshine
 in a package. Although the good things in life are free we are told of all
 the magical substances that you can buy in pharmacies and health shops.
Sunshine and fresh air are here for the taking but only given passing value
 in this age of electronics, satellites and placing our faith in technology.
 There is no force more obstructive to the advancement of mankind than an
 untruth that is given authoritative approval. Beware what is universally
 accepted as it can well be the end of man's sanity and logical reason. To
 know the truth we must become a child of nature and no longer must we think
 that the keeper of wisdom is found in universities or that professors,
 physicians and priests hold the key to salavation, or that the higher
 truths can be condensed and concisely compressed in the pages of script.
 But for the simple, logical, powerful and intelligent truth to become part
 of our life, in a sense we must discover it for ourselves. To a degree we
 must re-invent the wheel, or test what those geniuses and artists of life
 taught as the path man must follow. These masters of thought were found in
 all ages and aeons; but for us to be in attunement with their teachings, is
 no easy task. So much has been written lately and so much of it is
 contradictory, controversial, confusing and complex that to find fragments
 of enlightenment is like seeking for a needle in a haystack as the saying
 goes there is a lot of hay about.
        It is appropriate for me to quote these lines from Bhai Vir Singh, the Sikh
 poet.
        "I made my mind a beggar's bowl,
        I begged the bread of learning from door to door,
        Filled it with crumbs from houses of learning,
        Crammed it full.
        It was heavy.
        I was proud  - a man of learning.
        I strove to walk on the clouds
        But stumbled on the earth.
        Then I sought the Guru,
        Placed my bowl before him - an offering.
        'Dirt', he cried, 'Dirt,'
        Turned it upside down,
        Threw the crumbs away,
        Scrubbed it with sand,
        Rinsed it with water,
        Cleansed it of the filth of learning."

        This poem is replete with significant meaning. We must not only erase
 untruth from our mind but we must cleanse our system from the toxic and
 residue forming food that civilized man has been eating. The greatest
 learning is unlearning, deleting all that is fallacious and irrelevant, and
 one of the most important health measures we can follow is to eat sparingly
 of a few natural foods. In other words the process is the same whether we
 seek understanding or good health it all amounts to simplification and
 foregoing everything that will tax our system or which does not supply true
 nourishment or the right information.
        At this very moment you are the product of everything that you have eaten
 drunk, thought, experienced through the five senses from infancy to the
 present state. This is the baggage that we take with us every moment of our
 life. We take it on our journeys and we take it through mountain trails and
 on marathons. All you know is what you are thinking and feeling at the
 present moment. So what I am telling you today is based on what I have
 experienced.
        The basis of what I know came early on in my life, perhaps too early for me
 to appreciate or give it the respect it deserves. I learnt without the help
 of societies and networks just by trying to tie two and two together and
 the wonderful tool I learnt from Hindu Philosophy - "neti-neti" which means
 "not this, not that". It is a tool of discernment that aims at extracting
 the truth from a mass of conflicting information. Because this knowledge
 came relatively easy, I made many mistakes and had to learn through the
 hard-taskmaster of experience. It is for this reason I say that a wise man
 learns from the mistakes of others but a fool does not even learn from his
 own.
        From the age of 19, the law of cause and effect taught me that there is no
 such thing as medicine or to state it more explicitly that drugs have no
 relationship with illness. For this reason I had no problem what others may
 refer to as playing the "dare game" - that is daring to go against the
 stream of accepted belief.
        But I hope today that I will be able to give you a magic charm, a talisman
 that you can use for the rest of your life - a transforming genie of
 Aladdin's lamp.
        This charm is comprised of a number of simple components. Use of fresh,
 air, sunshine, exercise, rest and natural food. But first we must change
 our conception about what we are taught. Here again we must free our mind
 from the untrue. Whether we are aware of it or not we are all searching for
 understanding and a few simple secrets that will make us more efficient,
 but this is not possible if we believe glibly whatever is to told to us.
        To flow with life and reality and live in the now, we must cease thinking
 that there are such things as specific illnesses or that there are specific
 remedies; and that something outside of ourselves like germs, viruses and
 bacteria are attacking us and causing our symptoms. We must realize once
 and for all that it is our wrong habits which is the cause. For this reason
 we must cease thinking that food has healing properties or that it is
 curative. Sunshine and all the other elements combined correctly has the
 purpose of freeing our hollow cavities and ducts of unwanted substances so
 that the three motors of the body - those in the lungs, the abdomen and
 brain can function efficiently. Tarzan rightly thumped his chest to prove
 how clear his lungs and heart are and how they resonate with purity.
        Let us start with the blazing sun, the golden light.
        Once we have adjusted our eating habits to include more raw foods, eating
 when true hunger is present so as to ensure that we have efficient
 assimilation and good bowel evacuation, then we can go full speed ahead in
 the prudent use of exercise, internal cleansing, fresh air and sunshine to
 add that sparkle to life and put the spring back into our step. To enjoy
 our food we should eat only when the mouth fills with copious amount of
 saliva and you can hear the digestive juices rumbling in the stomach, and
 the remnants from the previous meal is completely out of the colon. These
 experiences will illustrate what I mean.
        For the past two months I have been in California visiting some of my
 children. Before arriving there, I left the winter in South Africa where
 there is very little fruit available and not the quality that one gets in
 California. After leaving Devon and Cornwall I will be going back to my
 home in Kwa-Zulu Natal - a subtropical region on the Indian Ocean. The
 ocean current here keeps the climate fairly even during the entire year,
 although somewhat humid in spring and summer, it is bearable. In the nearly
 forty years that I lived here I have never used air-condition or fans. We
 do not have snow, blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes, hail or earthquakes;
 but times we can have heavy thunderstorms and plenty of rain. Bananas,
 pineapple, avocado, leeches, mangoes, citrus fruit and sugar cane grow in
 this region.
        Everyday, I ask myself what do all my experiences, studies culminate in. In
 what simple form can it be defined. What is the end of what I regard as
 man's final quest. What in other words, works and what does not. The answer
 is simply this:
        To attain our highest potential where the body and mind is properly
 co-ordinated, the first step is to erase the funadamental error that man
 has made since he ceased becoming a food gatherer, and complicated his life
 with fire, menus and recipes. We must assist the body in every possible way
 to eliminate what it cannot use or what is toxic so that these substances
 cannot interfere with the finer workings of the organism.
        Cooking does not only change the chemical composition of food but it
 destroys the fibre content, rendering it less stable and somewhat foreign
 to our physiological structure. Therefore by eating cooked food we give our
 body the exhaustive task of trying to handle it and eliminate what it does
 not require. Undoubtedly the hardest work that the body is ever called to
 do is to digest and eliminate the masses of cooked food he eats. It is more
 taxing than exercise, running marathons and mental work. Cooking has a
 further sinister overture of permitting us to eat what we would not or
 could not relish in the raw state such as the large quantities of grains,
 bread, cereals, porridges and baked goods in its many forms. Because cooked
 food is taxing to our intestinal structure, it remains far to long in the
 digestive tract and will ferment and putrefy thus polluting our
 bloodstream, tissues and lymphatic circulation. Cooked food by being
 difficult to handle depletes nerve force and creates stress.
        Because civilized eating results in continual fermentation and so  causes
 underarm odour, halitosis etc., that one of the founders of the Nature Cure
 system - Louis Kuhne, regarded it as the source of all our illnesses from
 colds, arthritis, lung and heart problems. One just has to go to the gym to
 smell the bad odour that exercise and sweating releases from the body -
 both from the young, the handsome, beautiful and the old. Cooked vegetarian
 food may not be as bad as meat and fish which putrefies in the warmth of
 the digestive tract which in reality is like an oven that cooks what we
 eat, but it still adds to foreign matter accumulating in the body. The
 internal temperature, by the way, remains constant both in winter and
 summer. I have smelt decay on the breath of these same young people. Cooked
 starches also leave bad odours on the body. Certain black tribes of Africa
 who subsist on large amounts of white corn (maize) have unpleasant body
 odour, even if they wash a few times a day. This is to expected because
 starch, cooked or raw, is not well digested and although a carbohydrate, it
 has a different chemical composition from sugar, also a carbohydrate.
        In the plant kingdom the seed is the concentrated and compact food supply
 for the embyro or seedling and for this reason it is packed with enzymes
 and vitamins which acts as catalysts to transform the starch or the fat
 into nourishment for the plant. However starch in the animal is rendered
 into slime, and the more it has been refined, the more slime it produces.
        To conclude the food story, all concentrated foods from both animal kingdom
 and the vegetable kngdom are acid and mucous forming. This includes dairy
 products, cheese, yoghurt, butter, eggs, all meats, grains, nuts, and
 legumes. It is for this reason that the early naturopaths advocated a 80%
 alkaline diet with a 20% acid forming foods. In passing through the
 digestive tract - stomach, small intestines and colon, these foods leave
 slimy residues behind from infancy onwards. They accumulate layer upon
 layer and when the membranes become saturated with this pernicious
 substance we get colds coughs etc. With gravity it descends to the kidneys,
 bladder and colon and against gravity it ascends along the membraneous
 tract upwards to the bronchioles, alveoli (air sacs of the lungs), throat,
 tongue, nasal passages, and eustachian tubes. It pollutes the lymph that
 circulation that feeds our bloodstream and causes dandruff, underarm odour
 etc.
        You may ask if this knowledge is more readily available today than in the
 past why does man eat the way he does. The answer simply he is a glutton
 for punishment, and ignorant of how food is processed in the body. He also
 eats this way so that he can always keep those friends of his - the
 symptoms and aches which will be his permanent companions and which he can
 talk about in addition to the weather.
        Dickory, hickory, dock, the clock struck six in the morning, time to eat,
 dickory, hickory, dock, ten its tea-time, one p.m. lunch, six in the
 evening, supper, but at midnight it time to raid the refrigerator.
        But there is another reason, man eats in this way because he has been
 brainwashed in believing that unless he constantly eats, no matter how
 corpulent, he will not have the strength to lift a finger. But he also
 wants to obtain all the benefits from what he eats, unless it is cooked it
 is not food, and it is certainly not food if it does not stick to the ribs,
 give him heartburn, indigestion, constipation, colds and many other
 complaints, and so give him his money's worth. As the English will say, it
 is just not cricket and the Jews will say it is not kosher. It is also food
 if the food he eats does not kill him immediately.
        The medical world with its professors, universities and learned phsycians
 will not blame the way man lives and eats, but some unseen entity, in the
 past it was ghosts, mischievious, goblins, witches on a broomstick, and
 wizards, every thing under the sun, except his faulty living habits. But
 when the cause is not dealt with, the situation is further complicated by
 giving his symptoms thousands of names and seeking a specific remedy for
 each one.
They will never find a remedy or a cure, if they have not found a cure for
 the common cold, how can they find a cure for anything else. Over a hundred
 years ago Florence Nightingale discerned the situation correctly, something
 that the medical world has not, even to this day, taken notice of. She said
 that there is no such thing as a specific disease but there are specific
 symptoms. These symptoms are changing all the time and the older we are and
 more the body becomes encumbered, the more widespread our symptoms become.
 As life is an ever moving pageant and cannot be frozen in time, it is
 incorrect to think we can stop this ever-changing phenomenon by labelling
 it or that it will be remedied  as a result. Eradicating the cause is of
 course the only cure. *What is the underlying meaning of vaccination of
 immunization - it means, no matter how badly you live in the future, it
 will protect you from some michievious element. Medicine and drug's hidden
 meaning is - no matter how badly you have lived in the past, and still
 living badly it will eradicate all the wrong you have done. Disease implies
 that something other than your own faulty living habits is attacking you
 and wracking havoc and we must search for the invading alien organism.
        There is no greater evil than an untruth which is given authoritative
 approval. To flow with life and flow with reality we must not accept
 blindly what tradition, custom, religion, medical theory and also the
 present health food mania of taking supplements propagates. On the one hand
 we must be immunised, or vaccinated to be protected from what heaven alone
 knows. When we have the slightest symptom, it is time to panic and become a
 hypochondriac and take drugs of which there are thousands of. But if you
 are not a believer in orthodox medicine, it is time to visit the health
 shop and choose from the endless shelves of bottled and packaged items.
 Everyday a new substance is produced in the laboratory - a food supplement
 or natural remedy. As all of these remedies have plausible explanations, it
 may mean that we need to take all to be on the safe side - something which
 is impossible.
        To find the truth we have to apply simple logic - the neti-neti (not this,
 not that) tool based on Hindu philosophy. Throughout history there have
 been persons who lived long healthy and productive lives without any of
 these items. They lived through epidemics and plagues. You cannot trap
 sunlight, vitality and good sense in a bottle. Logic again should tell us
 the futility of these substances when daily sometimes as much as five times
 we are eating toxic and slime producing foods. These remedies do not touch
 the periphery of the problem. Do not go through life thinking that whatever
 is sold in the health shop is beyond reproach and has the approval of the
 almighty. They may even sell some precooked products made with organically
 grown items but how valuable can something organic be if it has been
 pulverized by cooking. Therefore when going to a health shop it is
 necessary to be very selective. On every label of packaged commercially
 produced food it should include this statement "Surgeon's Warning" - Eating
 this food is dangerous to your health.
        To illustrate this further and make a deeper impression on your mind, let
 me relate one of my jokes.
        "Doctor, I am a religious man who is always saying our most important pray,
 'Listen, O' Israel, God is great, omnipresent and all powerful, and God is
 one.' For this reason I am going to tell you what is wrong with me, and I
 am telling you without the need for you to ask me, and after I have told
 you, do not tell me that I must see a specialist, a second, third or fourth
 opinion, or have laboratory tests. Because God is great and one, I want one
 name for my symptoms and I want one remedy, and I only want you to tell me,
 nobody else. I repeat one remedy not two.
        I am overweight and stiff in every joint and muscle. From the hairs on my
 head to the very toes everything is wrong with me. Dandruff, blocked ears
 and nose, sore throat, coated tongue and teeth, stiff neck and shoulders,
 can hardly breath, have heart palpitations, hernia, indigestion, heart
 burn, belching and always craving for food but when I eat, I have no taste.
 Bad skin and swollen joints and sore muscles. Backache, sciatica and gout.
 Cannot sleep well at night and when I sleep, I snore with my mouth wide
 open making enough noise to waken even the dead. I find it hard to get in
 the bath or out. Every symptom under the sun I have got, moving pains,
 swollen glands in the arm pits, neck and groin. You name it I have got it.
 Always coughing, spluttering sneezing and forever blowing bubbles - I don't
 even have to buy soap bubbles from the toy shop.
  Not to forget I have got bad constipation, bleeding haemorrhoids, and when
 my stomach works, only a few hard, and small black balls can be evacuated.
 You see doctor, I cannot move or walk very well, but my bowels also as I am
 telling you does not move.
        Nothing as you see works properly or moves. Doctor as I revealed everything
 and held nothing back tell me what ails me. Is it snaids, baids, aids or
 cascades. One name as I have said before I want for my sickness, and one
 remedy.
        The doctor replied, "No one in the entire world can supply you with what
 you want."
        The patient replied, "I see it all now you people are taking money under
 false pretences. Please give back the certificate."
        What I related is not a joke but the reality of the situation. As we become
 older our symptoms become more numerous and more widespread therefore, it
 serves no purpose to think that it is possible to give them a name.
        In this world of computers, macros or a single keystroke that can perform
 many functions and save time, we can save ourselves a great deal of time in
 understanding if we find a shortform or precise meaning of say one food,
 pasta. Pasta that is made from flour is free of roughage and makes the
 finest   paste. It is the perfect phlegm and slime former which coats the
 colons as well as the air sacs or alveoli of the lungs. Consequently it
 should not be caused pasta but paste, paste that pastes up our insides.
 Hence paste is the shortform for all pasta, cereals and grain products and
 also means how our insides can become pasted up as a result. If man made
 his inventions the same way that he eats, nothing would work. In the world
 of technology we have to be precise, but because the body is a living
 organism, it for a while can adapt or tolerate bad treatment but in the end
 nature has the last say and will not be mocked.
        Great truths and wonderful discoveries have often been stumbled upon. On
 many occasions, one finds something that he did not know existed, and found
 in the process of looking for something else. Often I have obtained
 important information from an unsolicited remark, or from a book that had
 nothing to do with my basic research. One such event when I read a book
 called "Icarus". It was about a Scandanavian who lived for a while in North
 Africa. He met there a French hermit who believed that he could live for
 ever if he practised a special yoga breathing method and lived only on
 goats milk. In the end the Bedouins supplying the milk killed the goats and
 moved away. This hermit, together with the Scandanavian and a few other
 persons had to traverse a few hundred miles of desert to the next town. The
 hermit because of his diet of rich goat milk was the only one who did not
 survive the journey, much which had to be made on foot. He was constantly
 dribbling thick slimy mucous, and eventually his digestive tract
 regurgitated so much that he was figuratively smothered and died of
 suffocation.
        A dairy farmer whose cows were stalled fed i.e. fed on grains and very
 little green stuff as he only farmed on a small plot close to the town,
 found that the milk had to be filtered so as to remove the slime from it.
 Here again the starch was the culprit. In Josiah Oldfield's book "Eat
 Nature's Food and Live Long", he mentions how cows and horses fed on grains
 developed dry skin and hair but when left out to the pasturage and fed some
 linseed oil, their hair and skin became healthy and moist.

***End part 1