RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 03:29:04 -0700
Hi all,

For conventional coffee, the beans are roasted, then ground and then
steeped/percolated.  So, it is a food that is really cooked, and cooked
twice, once with roasting, once with steeping.  Even with cold water
steeping, the food is far from raw.  While I will infrequently have
coffee in some dish I cook, I dislike coffee for health reasons because
it is such a strong substance.

To my clients, I always suggest to people to cut it out by cutting back
as quickly as is comfortable, and if they still really want a hot
caffeinated drink, try green tea.  While not the greatest health-wise, I
believe it is far less injurious than coffee, has some caffeine, and
most report a boost from it.  It also has anti-cancer properties and
won't upset a sensitive stomach.

IMO the temporary energy increase that is sought by coffee drinkers
simply shows that they aren't really very well.  I believe high energy
is natural on a raw diet or mostly raw foods diet, and is dampened
considerably by eating cooked foods excessively.

regards