RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:04:05 -0400
Loen,
> I read the entire Beyond Veg site, and find nothing but opinion backed by
> partial information.

I'm sure you don't mean this, Loren! This is a site so jam-packed
with useful information, both anecdotal - real stories from people
just like yourself - as well as scientific - meaning peer-reviewed
journaled articles which report of findings from all kinds of
studies on the topics which are interesting to you and me. It's a
great site!!

> With a background in science, I read everything I can find on health
>and  nutrition, and then weigh it based on the strength of the support,
>and the methods used.

I've been curious since you started writing in - what exactly is
your background? Where did you get your education? It is always
interesting and helpful to know where different folks are trained,
and where and how they develop their philosophies. So where did you
go to school?

>My beliefs are formed not just from my own opinion from one failed
>personal  experiment, as yours seem to be, but from years of personal
>experience, both with my own health, and with the many people I have
>worked with.

I am a nutritionist in private practice also. I myself haven't seen
any successful long-term vegan or raw experiences - unless there is
a lot of "cheating" and "binging" that is not vegan or raw. I've
seen a number of vegetarians over the years that seem to be just as
heathy or unhealthy as the next person, but nothing that wouyld make
me think that vegetarianism is the ultimate answer. On the other
hand, I have, in fact, seen quite a number of people who have TRIED
fruitarianism, or rawism, or raw-veganism, for temporary periods of
time. For one reason or another, (sometimes severe health problems),
this does not seem to be a diet that works long-term for people.

By the way, I learned recently that the Hindu population in India,
maybe the only "longish"-term vegetarian population that exists, has
a higher incidence of atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease
than even the high cholesterol, high sat-fat meat and dairy eating
U.S.

Anyway, that doesn't say much for vegetarian diets (the Natural
Hygiene type of diet), does it?

>I didn't come to Raw Veganism because it looked attractive, or because I
>had some philosophical reason to do it. I came because my research into
>human nutrition proved to me that it made perfect sense. I no more wanted
>to give up my cooked foods than do you.

Loren, I would be interested to know what your research has been.
What convinced you?

> My experience has been that it works for everyone who follows my
> directions.

Since we are in the same business, I would enjoy knowing what these
directions are - and by this I mean specifics. Where do you live and
practice, by the way?

> I'm sorry that you were unable to find optimal health on the perfect diet.
> Undoubtedly, there are other unresolved issues, that if taken care of,
> would allow you to experience the same energy, strength, and vigor as do
> the rest of us.You could find some help from a practitioner who understands
> the body's needs and physiology, and figure out and remedy those issues.

The above were comments you made to Tom. I do not undersand what you
mean by "unresolved issues." Do you mean nutritional issues? What do
you mean by "the body's needs and physiology?"

I'm looking forward to your answers to my questions, Loren.

> For those of you out there who may be a bit more open-minded than Tom, I
> simply say that there is a wealth of research to back up the points I've
> made which Tom disputes today.

One thing I've found when it comes to nutrtion  --  evidently people
really need leaders, and "gurus," and are almost desperate for
spiritual leadership, and it somehow or another gets tied in with
eating. So anyone who appears to be any kind of an expert when it
comes to nutrition, like you and me for instance, has the
opportunity to become a cult leader.

I would caution readers out there to try to relax, and eat for
health and enjoyment, and rational reasons, and to be careful to not
be enticed by diets that seem to fulfill some spiritual or other
need (such as the common "need to de-tox all the dangers of modern
life" kinds of regimes out there). The issues of nutrition and human
biochemistry are vastly complex, and the simple solutions that are
proposed (whether it be "The Zone" or "Natural Hygiene" or "Raw
Food" or "Paleolithic") are just not ever, ever the whole picture.

> If you haven't already looked at the Beyond Veg website that he keeps
> referring to, and you have an hour or so to kill (literally),

That's not really fair, Loren. The site is vast, takes far more than
one hour (!!!!), and is very well documented and researched, as well
as interesting. Why did you have such a problem with it?

> That some people believe it impossible to live (and live at an incredibly
> high level of health!) on calorie levels that some believe to be
> "starvation" levels, doesn't change the fact that it's true.

Well, I must say I've seen people (often women) who do, in fact,
live on fewer calories than the 2,000 generally recognized as
required. However, I can't say that these people are in my opinion
as healthy as they could be.

Loren, I'm looking forward to your responses.

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)