RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:45:39 -0400
Roberta J Leong, LAc wrote:

> someone recently requetsed info on raw fish.  some precautions for raw
> fish are listed at  http://www.twics.com/~robbs/parasite.html

A personal on-thread anecdote...

Two days ago my mid-20s son came back from the creek with a 3 pound
trout.  While he was filleting it, I got to telling him about this raw
fish thread.

Now I'm a sucker for sushi, but the idea of just slicing off a chunk of a
fish that had been quivering scant moments ago---and sticking it in my
(our) mouth---was too much.  "Too much" that is, until I remembered our
intention was to dip it in soy sauce and make fish jerky in the dehydrator
(at 120 degrees F.)---which is NOT cooking.

What the hell...I popped a piece in my mouth.  When the son saw I wasn't
going to die, he tried a piece, too.  An onlooking grandson declined a
piece, but didn't seem particularly concerned that we were risking our
lives.

We decided it wasn't all that great.  We then dipped some in soy sauce
and, just like someone here earlier said, it tasted "right."

It's been 48 hours and we're still alive.  Whew!