RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 13:14:23 -0700 (PDT)
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>:
>I found some in-shell Brazil nuts, but they didn't taste very
>different from the shelled (hence cooked) ones. Moreover, I didn't
>find the shell very hard (not harder than almonds, could be cracked
>with the teeth or with an ordinary nut-cracker). Of course, it was a
>bit tedious because the nut adheres to the shell a lot.
>
>Does it mean the nuts were "pre-boiled"? I have no idea whether they
>are or not, since I have no truly raw nuts to compare with (Orkos
>doesn't sell Brazil nuts).

Tom:
It is possible that they were pre-boiled, but I don't know for certain. Most
of the in-shell brazil nuts sold here in the U.S. have a shell that clings
tightly to the nut. The nuts are not so hard to crack (easier than macadamias),
but because the shells cling tightly to the nut meat, it is some work to get
the shell fragments off the cracked nuts. Also, the flavor is close to the
(pre-)shelled nuts.

Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>:
>I read in "La protection des fruits tropicaux après récolte", E. Laville,
>CIRAD 1994 that in-shell hazelnuts are dried to 7-8% moisture content,
>at 50 deg C (122 F)

Tom:
Thanks for the information!

P.S. will check if I have any info on your fig questions - probably tomorrow,
as things are hectic today.

Regards,
Tom Billings