RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:09:29 -0800
>There is something about a missing substance in raw eggs (a B
>vitamin? choline?) which can cause a deficiency if too many are
>consumed.  But for some reason cooked eggs are O.K. (this applies to
>the whites of the eggs only).  Or it may be that if you eat taw egg
>whites it will cause a deficiency of choline or something.  I think
>that is it.  This is all I can remember.  Maybe if I ate a couple of
>eggs I could recall it.

I have been told that 1) It is the absorption of biotin that is blocked
2) That it is only the absorption of biotin from the eggs that it is
blocked and not from other foods 3) That this is caused not the
eggwhite but by the white film between the white & the shell.

There seems to be some confusion on this subject, but I doubt that a
moderate consumption of raw eggs will hurt anyone.

Best, Peter