RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David R. Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 00:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
[NOTE: This is a fowarded post, not authored by sender@email address ]
[ Fowared by:  Judy Pokras <[log in to unmask]> ]
          I have fresh fruit for breakfast.  Whatever I can buy that's
organically grown but not too expensive.  Grapefruit or apples, sometimes
kiwi, sometimes mango, now peaches, maybe tangerines.

          In summer watermelon, but organic watermelon costs too much, so I
do buy regular H2Omelon, regrettably.  If I'm mixing a few fruits for
breakfast, I might add shredded coconut.  I love grapes when I can get
them, and cherries and nectarines.  I love canteloupe, but, again, melons
are expensive when organic, so I usually avoid them altogether, very
regrettably.  I also sometimes find strawberries, and I love blueberries.

         Lately, my lunch is around dinnertime, combined with dinner, and
is always a large salad, with any combination of the following: buckwheat
greens, sunflower shoots, sunflower sprouts, clover sprouts, garlic
sprouts, other mixed sprouts, celery, scallions, mesclun, dandelion greens,
dulse, arame, nori, cucumber, watercress, tomato, red bell pepper.

           For dressing, I have a tablespoon of flaxseed oil, juice of half
a lemon or lime, and occasionally some Bragg's amino acids.  Sometimes I
add olives or pickles to the salad, and often fresh garlic.  After the
salad, I usually have something cooked, like maybe potato leek soup, or
split pea soup.  Or a grain with fresh garlic and olive oil.  Or sometimes,
indulgently, guiltily, a cereal like Amaranth flakes with Rice Dream.  Or
buckwheat groats with maple syrup and Rice Dream.  Or corn-quinoa pasta.
Or -- rarely -- tofu ravioli.  Or whole grain pancakes.  I add arrowroot
powder to the batter, which usually binds the pancakes in place of eggs.  I
only cook with olive oil, since reading an article saying canola oil should
never be cooked.  But I try not to cook with oil at all.

              I like the Amy's brand frozen Tamale pie, as a lazy option.
I'm allergic to wheat and soy, so try to avoid them except for every fourth
day.  This can be difficult when I'm lazy or eating out with regular
people!

            For a desserty treat, I have frozen bananas with maybe some
nuts and carob powder and shredded coconut.  Or, I might indulge in Carob
Mint Rice Dream on occasion.

            Please tell us your recipe for Raw Corn Soup!  I adore corn!

And can you recommend a dehydrator?  I don't know which one to get!  Also,
do you have a water distiller?  I buy gallons of distilled water, but
regrettably they're of plastic.  Can you recommend a water distiller?

And thirdly, do you filter your sink and shower and bath water?  What kind
of filter?  I need to remove the chlorine from mine!

Thanks!