RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 18:40:19 -0500 (CDT)
>**FREEZINGFOODS**My understanding is that Malliard Molecules, by
>definition, are NOT produced in nature except in rare scenarios like a
>wildfire. & that the problem with freezing is that the water becomes
>ice & the ice crystals are both sharp & expansive & they burst cell
>walls, allow chemical mixing of the intracellular fluids, similar to
>the mixing produced by a blender or food processer & that foods with
>low water content, like nuts, are not particularly affected by
>freezing.  Is any of that true, y'all?

Bob, Good to have you aboard! I basically agree with what you say but
since the mixing of the intercellular fluids is a natural process that
happens when we eat our foods anyway, I doubt it is that bad. I think
the issue is rather that when the integrity of the cell has been broken
by crystallization, a loss of nutrients will occur.

Best, Peter