RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:33:36 -0700
The latest issue of "Tropical Fruit News Magazine" arrived (June
1999, vol. 33, #6; published by Rare Fruit Council International,
Miami, Florida; http://www.gate.net/~tfnews). The back cover
has a photo of a huge mango - the "Big Ron" mango, grown on
Pine Island, Florida. From the back cover: "This delicious
and aromatic orange/yellow-fleshed mango is something of a mystery,
as even the grower is unsure of its parentage."

The front cover has a photo of a beautiful cluster of mangos,
the "Okrung" mango, considered one of the best tasting mangos in the
world. [Personal note: I have never tried the "Okrung". My personal
favorite is the "Carrie," which puts standard commercial mangos
like the Haden, Kent, Keitt, to shame.]

An article on mango cultivars being tested in South Florida (p. 8)
mentions the "Durian Mango" - Mangifera odorata (the usual mango
is Mangifera indica). The description: "Fruits green with strong
odor and delightful flavor."

By the way, my table "Wild vs. Cultivated Fruit Comparison" is on
the new web site, http://www.beyondveg.com

The version there has a number of revisions - 1) a number of
fruitarian
rationalizations re: wild vs. cultivated fruits are debunked in the
comments section, and - the reason I am mentioning it here 2) a
references section has been added that includes some very interesting
comments from plant explorers, re: wild relatives of the common
mango. You might find the comments there re: Mangifera quadrifera,
to be interesting.

The article mentioned above is at:

http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/fruit-table/wild-cultiv-fruit-1a.shtml

Tom Billings