RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:34:16 -0700
first some miscellaneous notes: there is an article on raw food diets in the
May issue of "Vegetarian Times" magazine. It's on pg. 84 and the approximate
title is, "Can a raw diet be balanced?". The article is of so-so quality, but
it is worth looking at (not worth buying the magazine for, in my opinion).

Also, I plan to attend Brian Clement's talk at the Whole Life Expo this
weekend. If the talk is not a repeat of last year's talk, I may type up and
post my notes from the talk. If it is a repeat, I probably won't post any
notes.

potluck speaker remark:
At the April raw foods potluck in San Francisco, the speaker, Lee Hitchcock,
author of "Long Life Now", and an advocate of what he claims is the Hunza
diet, made an interesting and provocative claim regarding raw foods veganism:

In order to satisfy body calorie requirements, the raw food vegan must
eat in one of 3 ways:

1) very large amount of sweet fruit, as the sugar supplies calories

2) large amount of raw fat, specifically avocados, but also nuts, for fat
calories

3) "eat like a gorilla": eat constantly/several times a day; acquire calories
by eating large volumes of food.

I wanted to mention this in case others found it interesting. My comment is
that there is some truth to what he is saying - sugar addiction and/or eating
large amounts of sweet fruit do occur, it is possible to get addicted to, or
overeat avocados, and some raw fooders eat a surprisingly high volume of food.
(Remark: avocado addiction is rare, due to the high cost of avocados.)

However, it is indeed possible to be a raw fooder and eat very little food -
less than cooked/meat eaters do. To achieve that, one must avoid sugar/fat
addiction, and acclimate oneself to eating reasonable sized meals at appropriate
intervals, with little or no snacking. That requires discipline and effort, but
the results are usually worth it.

The speaker spent little time on this topic, and I don't have a copy of his
book, so I really can't provide additional info, from the speaker's perspective,
on this topic.

Tom Billings