RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 19:53:14
[log in to unmask] (Robert W. Avery):
>Doug,
>	I agree with most of what you said, but I would like to learn
>more about your thoughts on exercise.  What should I read to
> educate myself about the life-shortening effects of exercise?  Most
> of what we read is contrary to that idea.  While exercise does use up
> life energy,  it also seems to make the body's organs and hormonal systems
> operate with greater efficiency.

(see below, but what exercise does is to soak up excessive calories;
fasting or caloric restriction will accomplish the same thing,
bringing the organs back into line without the damage that
accompanies excessive caloric intake)

> There is probably some sort of U-shaped
> curve involved, where no exercise and maximal exercise are
> detrimental, but acertain amount (how much?) is optimal.

I agree that it is probably a U-shaped curve, but my sense of it is
that the optimal levels of exercise are ridiculously low, just
enough to get the lymphatic system stirred up and the blood moving
around a little.  We had a discussion on this topic on the Caloric
Restriction Society list recently, and a number of relevant journal
citations were posted which totally convinced me that exercise is to
be avoided.  Unfortuntely I did not save these references, but they
concerned good, solid results from rodent studies.  These citations
indicated that exercise is indeed life-shortening, & this is what
you would expect since increased caloric expenditure requires
increased caloric intake, which is unquestionably very deleterious.
Exercise does seem to help "burn off" excessive calories and prevent
some of the damage these extra calories will cause (e.g.
glycolization), but the best course is not to consume these
excessive calories in the first place.  The notion that exercise is
beneficial is a silly Western concept which popped up in recent
decades but has no basis in fact. Exercise will, however, produce
lactic acid which is a good chelator, but there are better ways to
chelate minerals out of your body.  Lethargy has a lot to offer.

--Doug Schwartz