RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:15:21 -0500
I would say that all wheat products, except perhaps raw, sprouted wheat, are
best avoided. But, in a practical situation, if I had to choose between whole
and white bread, I would choose white bread because:

 *There is no great risk of having beriberi in developed countries. People get
that disease in the Third world when most of their calories are from grains.

 *It's true that intestinal transit is slower when the fiber is removed, but if
you eat enough fruits and vegetables, it should be OK.

 *I also think that whole bread contains more gluten than white bread, although
I don't have the exact figures. I know, from the USDA nutrient database, that
from 100 calories of white bread you get 3.94 grams protein and from 100
calories of whole bread you get 3.07 grams protein, but I don't know about the
gluten fractions.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis