RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 07:17:44 -0500
Helio:

>    Sorry for this(other) stupid question, but what's "The Zone" supposed to
>mean!?!?!? A concept?

I know you are from Brazil, so you have never heard of it. "The Zone", by B.
Sears, is a 1000000-copy best-seller. It consists of eating 40% carbohydrates
(mainly low glycemic-index), 30% protein and 30% fat (monounsaturate mainly).
The %s refer to calories. Eating that way controls insulin levels, and, as
claimed by Sears, optimizes the production of "good" eicosanoids. That barbaric
term refers to kind of "local" hormone-like substances, which control blood
clotting, immune system, pain, etc. It is claimed that, by eating 40/30/30, you
can reach a state of perfect wellness ("the zone"). See

http://www.eicotech.com/home.nsf/frameset?open

and click on "What is the Zone?"

>    Also Jean-Louis , I could not understand how can you stay a month away
>off a shampoo and your hair look clean? Nice shape either?

The last time I used shampoo was in May 1997; since then, I wash my hair with
clear water only.

Before, I "needed" shampoo every 2-3 days (like you). When I stopped it, my hair
of course became very greasy. I washed it 3 times/week with water only, but of
course it didn't really help to get rid of the oils; however, after 1 or 2
months, the oils started to re-equilibrate, and now I hardly need any hair
washing. I do it about once a month, but it's really by habit, because they are
not greasy at all and don't seem dirty nor smelly.

I realize doing that is not easy (unpleasant during the transition period). A
good step seems to use the mildest shampoo, not to use too much of it, and keep
your hair short (no problem if you are a man).

I think that the sebum is a natural secretion whose purpose is to protect your
scalp. The body is not "stupid": if you remove that protection, it will produce
sebum at a faster rate. But if you don't, it will produce just the right amount
(at least if your nutrition is correct).

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis