RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
AARONLIFE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 19:20:51 EDT

<< Do you actually know of any cases of people becoming infertile by eating
>>100% raw vegan?  Or are you just spouting off?

Just spouting off!!!! ;)

I'm very fertile when it comes to spouting theories ;)

Vicki, that's great for your friend!!  How long has he been raw?

I think as I said, it's a theory. I love to have my theories get destroyed!

Anyway, I would think that any diet that caused nutritional deficiencies
might cause infertility, no?  For example, from what I've read, there are many
minerals that are supposedly necessary for proper sperm production -
chromium, zinc, magnesium, copper, potassium, selenium as well as amino acids,
such as arginine.

Now, from what I understand zinc is a common deficiency problem on raw vegan
or fruit diets, or actually, a common deficiency in general!  I showed
common signs of zinc deficiency after a year on my diet - no wound healing, almost
non-existent sex drive.  Of course I don't know if I was actually deficient,
but I was craving pumpkin seeds like crazy and made myself sick eating them
(pumpkin seeds are high in zinc).  Ultimately, it's a mystery.  However, I
will quote from Kirchmann's nutrition almanac:

"Even marginal deficiency of zinc will promote decreased sexual interest,
low sperm count, and impotence."

Now, as one leaves behind grains, meats, dairy, fish, and eggs which are
common sources of zinc, one might develop a zinc deficiency over-time as
they may not eat enough seeds, or they may not digest those seeds well enough in
order to get enough zinc.  As I said, it's theoretical, but I see increased
risk on diets that don't normally contain zinc.  Along with zinc deficiency,
appears to come infertility.

It does seem to be common knowledge that vegans and fruitarians experience
lower sex drives, right?  Sometimes I wonder if people eat that way in order
to control their sex drive!!  Who knows?  Some people might, some people
might not.  I've certainly eaten certain ways to control all sorts of behavior and
emotional states!

So, as always,  I'm not saying my theory is right, I'm not saying it's
wrong, but I just see a pattern of dietary restriction that begins when humans
adopt agriculture and ends when humans become breatharians.

I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks for responding,

Aaron