RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:23:43 -0400
Jean-Louis,

>> This may be true in some cases (some people work 10 or 12 hours a
>> day), but lack of time is often a convenient excuse for laziness.

Perhaps, but "laziness" might really be just plain exhaustion, or
seeking releif from stress. Furthermore, most people that I know
struggle not only with the time constraints of work, but all the
tasks they must face during the time that they're NOT at work
(driving children to the doctor, dentist, school activities and
friends' houses; food shopping, waiting in lines at government
offices, banks, insurance company, car repair, etc -- in other
words all the time demands of modern life).

>> I haven't done statistics, but I am sure many of these "weekend
>> warriors" come home on weekdays and just watch TV.

I'm sure you're right. But again, as much as this practice is
criticized, I wonder whether it might actually serve some kind of
important purpose ("winding down" or just plain old fashioned
_resting_ from constant mental or physical demands).

(By the way - we don't have a working TV in the house, and my grown
children were raised without any television at all).

>> I found (from my personal experience, which may differ from other's)
>> that exercising only on the weekends is the best way to feel exhausted
>> and/or have muscle aches on Mondays, while if you exercise every day,
>> your body and muscles quickly adapt.

Maybe -- but again, most people just don't have the luxury of the
time to do this. It's just hard, really hard, to fit it in. I'll
add, too, that according to some more evolutionary types of
approaches to excercise, we may not be particularly well adapted to
excercising on a daily basis. Rather, two or three days each week,
of different types of excercise each day, including lots of
irregular "sprint" types of excercises (in other words, fast/slow,
hard/easy, heavy/light, etc.). Of course, our ancestors were NEVER
exposed to the kinds of continuous stress like what we have today -
where you wake up and start "grinding," never stopping until you
drop into bed exhausted late at night.

Love Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)