RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelli Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:17:41 +0100
Ben said:
> Thanks for your words.  Perhaps I can clarify my concerns.  My concern is
> not so much that I will preach to all my acquantances about the merits of
> raw food and pass judgement, but it is that I will become the "freak" of the
> dorm hall because I consume raw meat.

Kelli says:
That Americans are not more accepting of eating raw flesh is merely cultural.
When I graduated from college 5 years ago, "multiculturalism" was very much a
hot topic, and I would expect it is still an active pursuit of most
collegians. So maybe you could try the "sushi" approach to helping people not
be repulsed by the fact that you eat raw meat. Some college students eat
sushi, don't they? And I just recently learned that sushi does not just mean
raw fish--a book I have shows how to prepare raw beef as well. I understand
that you probably don't prepare your raw meat into sushi-type dishes, but the
principle is nevertheless the same. I think it would be easier for your peers
to "digest" the idea of eating raw meat hearing it explained in this light.
Some might consider this kind of explanation a cop-out, but put alongside your
explanation of the health benefits, I see no harm in it.

Ben said:
> Maybe I'm just worrying a bit too much.  Nevertheless, this type of thing
> has happened to me on a smaller scale from time to time.  I just tend to
> think that the larger amount of interaction in the dorms might become
> laborsome when it comes to explaining to everybody why I eat raw meat.  To
> be honest, I'm also a little worried about dating too.

Kelli says:
One thing I encourage you to remember is that you AREN'T what you eat in this
case. You are about a lot more than simply your diet! If you have lost touch
with who you are beyond what you eat (which I have done in the past), I urge
you to stop focusing so much on that in defining who you are and in
determining what you have to offer humanity--that includes your peers, you
know. Look inside your soul and be that which you see. That would be love and
acceptance of others (and yourself), peace, encouragement, happiness,
gratitiude, generosity.... you know the rest. Be that which you see.... Do you
see a hunk of raw meat? I know, I know--physically, yes--but you know what I'm
getting at here. I understand that your history of being closed from others
might make this a tall order, but make a decision to be OPEN. Let people know
ALL of who you are. Don't hide behind your diet or allow it overshadow YOU.
Resist letting that one aspect of who you are paint an incomplete picture. Be whole.

Ben said:
> I know I shouldn't make such an issue of this, but these are simply my
> honest thoughts.

Kelli says:
Continue being honest about how you feel and what you think. And btw, that is
not being weak--that is being real. Just remember who you are beyond the raw
flesh and then choose to let others know that person. Be encouraged, Ben.