RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:41:57 -0700
Carol:
"The likelihood that the growing incidence of junk food eating is the
result of the high birth rate among junk food eaters seems to me to
be rather slim."

Arjen:
Jo said that she expects it to be a trend based on socio-economic factors.

I am male of 34. I am rather thin, but that is how I have been my
whole life; so I didn't lose any extra weight by going raw.

Jo:
I am male of 42. Dang it, I may have to change my name!

Jo:
"My experience was that I gave raw veganism too much time, because it
adversely affected my long term health."

Arjen:
It is hard for me to say anything about that, since I don't know what
you ate and what your background is. Did you take a B12 supplement?

Jo:
No, and you'll just have to trust me when I tell you that for all the
time and effort (12 years) I put into making the raw vegan diet work,
the results were nonetheless largely dismal for the long term. ;)

Of course, that doesn't mean it won't work for you or anybody else.

Arjen:
My motivation to change diet has always been mostly ecologically
inspired, I guess probably because I didn't have any health problems
anyway.

Jo:
That's admirable; and make sure you're concern for the environment is
balanced with an honest appraisal of your own body ecology,
especially when you're entering your next decade of being a raw vegan.

Arjen:
The claim that so many people say that they feel much stronger after
including RAF doesn't impress me. First of all because I don't know
if they had a good diet and secondly because meat might be just
another stimulant, comparable to taking steroids: it makes you feel
stronger, but is has an adverse effect on your health.

Jo:
To me, it's not a matter of feeling stronger. I AM stronger when I
eat RAF. There's no comparison. Like most people who re-introduce
some animal source foods into their diet, one of the first benefits
is the recovery of lean tissue weight, without any focused training.
Also, the recovery period after a workout is considerably shorter.

Rather than a stimulative effect, I've found that RAF has smoothen
the irritability I experienced when I was a raw vegan.

 From the results I've experienced, I'd have to give RAF two thumbs up.

Jo:
"I can't see how a diet based on high levels of processed sugar
wouldn't be harmful for the short term either."

Arjen:
I am sure it would be harmful. But that doesn't matter as long as the
reproduction is not affected.

Jo:
So I wonder if a junk food diet from childhood might affect gamete
quality which would then affect fertility. i.e. reduced birth rate.

And you still haven't specified your version of a "health conscious" person.

Take care,
Jo