RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:28:10 -0400
> Andre writes:
>
> Does anyone know of any celebrities or otherwise famous or
> "mentionationable" Raw Foodists(90% or better) - past or present?

There has been a little discussion in the past on this list, and an
article in _Spin_ magazine described:

http://MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9901&L=raw-food&P=R957
http://MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9901&L=raw-food&P=R1770

Also, actor Woody Harrelson has been said to be a raw food advocate,
part owner of a raw food place and "oxygen" bar (though he apparently
does not rule out fire for some "uses"):

http://MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9901&L=raw-food&P=R100

I have heard that actor Dennis Weaver is/was a raw foodist, but
have no real evidence to back up this claim.

Comedian Dick Gregory wrote a book on raw foods, and at least used
to support them (more recently, he appears to be promoting cooked
vegetarianism). Even so, Viktoras K. once told  of how Gregory
would still put cheese on the dehydarated seed/vegetable patties that
Viktoras made, and melt the cheese in an oven before eating. (-:

Peter Max produced the artwork for Viktoras's Survival book, though
I'm not sure whether or not he ever practiced raw foods.

Ann Wigmore supposedly was awarded a Nobel prize for her work
with starvation and 3rd world nations, but she apparently did
not make a major celebretity wave, as news of her passing hardly
made her home-town Boston paper several years ago.

Correta Scott King, widow of Martin Luther King, has made semi-
regular visits to Hippocrates Health Clinic in Florida to partake
in that predominately raw food program.

I believe that David Wolfe appeared for a few seconds on Howard
Stern's radio program, where he apparently claimed to be able to
discern whether one is a meat-eater by smell (if one would even
consider NFL as celebreties).

Are wheatgrass/juice places still popular in Hollywood ?

Regards,

David