RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:12:53 -0500
>  Where do you buy your mackerel? I was planning to dry mine in the
> dehydrator, put a little salt on it, and eat it. I tried drying snapper/rock
> cod and it was a little tough after drying. How long would I need to dry it,
> to kill bacteria?

> Doesn't tuna have a lot of mercury? How about mackerel?

> How can you find out if the fish is "farmed' or not?

Well, I don't ask myself so many questions...
I buy mackerel at my local fishmonger. After cleaning it, I hang a few
fillets in the refrigerator for a few days, until a dry crust forms (other
methods work too). About farmed fish and related topics, Kirt has posted
a message on the Paleofood list, cf.

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9711&L=paleofood&P=R887

JL