RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:21:06 +0200
Jean-Claude wrote:

>> The asociality of eating a different diet have not been an issue for me,
>> may be because i always have been the only instincto around. I go to
>> restaurant with families or friends, i participate to potlucks, went to
>> weddings etc... i just bring my food and found no resisance from
>> either my friends , family, or restaurants staff ( quite the opposite in fact they
>> often go out of their way to accomadate my needs, bring plates and forks... )

Well, yes, I agree that being 100% raw is not necessarily incompatible
with having a normal social life, but you must admit that doing so
is sometimes inconvenient:
-people always ask questions the first time ("don't you like the
food?", or "are you vegetarian?", etc).
-It may happen that someone invites you unexpectedly to come at
his/her place and have dinner. If you have no time to buy food, then
you have to refuse.
-One does not always plan in advance whether to go or not to the
restaurant. If a friend suggests to do so and you haven't brought
food, then you have to refuse.
-One does not always have time to go shopping, like when travelling
abroad for professional reasons.

Depending on the person, these inconvenients are more or less well
accepted. Seignalet's diet may not be "perfect", but seems a good
compromise. He says that 50% of the patients that consult him
eventually give up the diet, but those who keep it get high success
rates (let's say 80%), so the net result is about 40%. If he had asked
his patients to follow a strict instincto diet, then probably much
less people would be willing or able to pursue it, and therefore the
net success rate would be much lower. In short, a diet which is not
strict enough won't be efficient, while a diet which is too strict may
be difficult to follow (psychologically, socially, financially) and
thus have a high defection rate. The best, from the physician's point
of view, is to find the "ideal" balance in order to heal as many
people as possible. Those who have followed his mostly raw regimen for
a year with success are of course free to try and refine it if they
feel it useful or necessary.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>