RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:28:53 EDT
Jo wrote, excerpting from a book about Harvey Diamond,

<<  Diamond himself used the method he advises to cleanse his system of Agent
 Orange, a toxic defoliant he was exposed toduring the U.S. war in Vietnam,
 which has claimed the lives of thousands of veterans and put an equal
 number into wheelchairs.

 About 20 years after exposure, muscles in the body begin to wither. Within
 a decade, arms and legs no longer work. Diamond has lost retractor muscles
 in  his arms and hands and has been left with a limp, but credits
 detoxification cleansing with halting progress of the poison. >>

This story reminded me that in 1982 a friend and I went on a trek to find the
very exact source of the Connecticut River, and then to canoe down the whole
length of it. The river starts with five teeny tiny primeval-looking lakes (or
ponds, I can't remember which) right on either side of the U.S. - Canadian
border. We spent the day bushwacking our way through the brush to see (and
jump into) each lake. At one point, we found a quicker path had already
cleared for us beneath some power lines, and we discovered, to our total
amazement and delight, the most enormous blueberries we had ever seen - TONS
of them - more than a person could stuff in eating continuously for a week. I
happen to LOVE blueberries, and these were so huge and gorgeous, I couldn't
believe my eyes. They looked fake, almost weird, they were so perfect.

Well, we STUFFED ourselves. I mean gorged., until we just could not cram down
even one more berry. Then we found the very first, tiniest, wildest lake
(large puddle, really) that is the very very beginning of the Connecticut
River. It was on the Canadian side.

As we came back into the United States, we mentioned to the border police our
great discovery of awesome blueberries. They looked horrified. They told us
that the entire swatch all along the border, under the power lines, was
heavily sprayed with Agent Orange, and that those blueberries were extremely
contaminated, and even the grasses we brushed against had suresly deposited a
thick layer of the sticky spray on our skin and clothes. They said that they
didn't want to alarm us, but that they recommended that we get immediate
medical attention. Well, we couldn't do that right away, since we were all
geared up and ready for our canoe trip down the river. By the end of our trip,
we had both forgotten about it.

For some reason, the entire incident had compoletely vanished from my mind
until I read this post. I'm feeling a little panicky at the moment, and also a
little astonished at my own stupidity.

Does anyone know anything about Agent Orange? Maybe I should write to Harvey
Diamond? Or should I contact some agency of the govt. for information? I guess
an internet search would be helpful.  Any help will be most appreciated!! ;-))

Love, Liza
[log in to unmask] (Liza May).